Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into a fender-bender last Thursday. Unfortunately, the damage repair outstrip the value of the car. With the mileage at only 92K, this would be an excellent parts car. Except for the damaged area, everything is in fine working order (motor starts and runs perfect, IMA batteries have 63K on them). I hesitate to sell to the local junkyard, as I know someone probably would really want this (see pic).

If interested, call my office @ 253-859-7902 5am to 2pm PST, or 206-949-4982 afterhours.

Thanks,

Mark Odekirk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Your Insight

Have you obtained a repair estimate? If so, what was the dollar figure?

·
7,185 Posts
It's the door damage that did it in. I estimate about $3500-4000.

·
7,185 Posts
Wow, I was way off. That seems steep, but if the suspension was broken then that kinda makes sense.

If I was home in Portland I would pick it up, but that's not for another couple of months.

Do you plan on buying another Insight with the payout?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If my Honda mechanic can repair the suspension and align the wheels properly, I may fix the rest of the car. I have a Ukrainian employee (Volodymyr) who brought back a "totaled" Nissan Altima from the dead to perfect condition. He drives it to work everyday. He thinks 7000 for repairs is silly, and is willing to assist me.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
That's what I like to hear :)

Keep another perfectly good car on the road, not taken apart for some of its parts and the rest sent to scrap.

Good luck! I'd have done the same with mine if I had a garage to work in....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's been 7 weeks since the wreck. Here are a couple of pics showing how the repair are going (we're almost done).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Very nice! I hate seeing them sent to the wreckers cause most could be fixed. So tell us more about it. Hard to find the parts? Spend much on professional help? I'm actually a good autobody guy but have never worked on aluminum. Anxious to give it a try if I can ever buy a good wrecked car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Repair specifics

Well, to answer some of the questions (last one first), the suspension damage was just the aluminum control-arm underneth. All three mounting points were undamaged. That part (the control-arm) I bought brand new because of its important functional purpose.

The guy at the body shop that deemed the car a "total loss" took me aside and encouraged me to fix it myself. He showed me a website that is a database for practically every salvage yard in America @ [ Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ]. Most of the parts I found there. Smaller parts, like the headlamp assembly I found out of state. The door I drove 100 miles to get (200 bucks for that). Although I found a perfect hood in Indiana, the shipping made it ridiculous, so the hood I bought new a hondapartsnow.com. I found a local bodyshop with a good paint booth (computerized blending), so they did the painting for 1000 bucks. The Fender was found at a junkyard, as was the alloy wheel. The most complicated part was transferring all the door control mechanisms from old door to new door (window, window rails, locks, linkages, the handle, etc.).

I would say the total cost will end up be just over 2000 bucks.

Here's another pic.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Well, to answer some of the questions (last one first), the suspension damage was just the aluminum control-arm underneth. All three mounting points were undamaged. That part (the control-arm) I bought brand new because of its important functional purpose
Now for the hard news. Your battery has been sitting for 7 weeks? Or have you been driving the car daily?

If it has been sitting, it is now out of balance. Without reconditioning it, the battery will fail by fall. Charging will help, but not 100% because the battery is not new, so a simple charge will not put it in balance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts