Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

First time on this forum. Please forgive any errors.

I'm looking for an Insight, first generation, M/T. My budget is around $700 or so. I understand that at that price, the car is certainly going to be a bit of a project car, balding tires, body damage, bad IMA, etc. My only real things I'm looking for are
  • Working motor
  • Working transmission (I hear second gear synchros tend to explode. That's not much of an issue, then. As long as it can still shift into second.)
  • Passing state inspection is nice.
  • I'd like it to still drive with reasonable safety.
Located outside of West Chester PA.

Sorry if the price is too aggressively low. Just trying to get a car to teach my boyfriend to drive on, and then use as a cheap on gas daily driver.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Well, I don't know, but you don't say anything about your mechanical/electrical skills. A cheap "project" Insight can be a real PITA, particularly if you want to drive it and have it inspected. I think you might have fewer headaches if you bump it up to about $1500 and buy one that has already passed inspection. That will give you more time to deal with the idiosyncratic nature of these old cars - learn a bit at a time rather than dealing with a basket case. You won't have any trouble finding high mileage basket cases.;)

You are going to need a decent transmission at least. You aren't likely to find that in a $750 car.

You may well not be able to pass PA inspection with a bad IMA battery. A bad battery will trigger dash warning lights. I would almost guarantee that a $750 car will not have a usable IMA battery.

·
Registered
497 Posts
$700 is really a scrap price, about what I would ask for something that was hit hard in the rear and is going to be parted out. You will not get a running, driving car, and as Jime points out the money spent bringing a $700 car up to the point it can pass inspection will be greater than simply buying a car in better shape to begin with. In Chester County you will be required to pass an OBD scan, which you will not pass with a failed battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello.

First time on this forum. Please forgive any errors.

I'm looking for an Insight, first generation, M/T. My budget is around $700 or so. I understand that at that price, the car is certainly going to be a bit of a project car, balding tires, body damage, bad IMA, etc. My only real things I'm looking for are
  • Working motor
  • Working transmission (I hear second gear synchros tend to explode. That's not much of an issue, then. As long as it can still shift into second.)
  • Passing state inspection is nice.
  • I'd like it to still drive with reasonable safety.
Located outside of West Chester PA.

Sorry if the price is too aggressively low. Just trying to get a car to teach my boyfriend to drive on, and then use as a cheap on gas daily driver.

Thanks.
Good morning are still looking?

·
Registered
297 Posts
$700 is really a scrap price, about what I would ask for something that was hit hard in the rear and is going to be parted out. You will not get a running, driving car, and as Jime points out the money spent bringing a $700 car up to the point it can pass inspection will be greater than simply buying a car in better shape to begin with. In Chester County you will be required to pass an OBD scan, which you will not pass with a failed battery.
I have purchased 2 Insights for less than 700 bucks. Both of them ran and drove. One was a CVT for 400 bucks and I drove it around a good bit before I cut the nose off of it to fix my crash damaged car.

Insights have almost ZERO interest out there in the car buying public. It is about as niche of a vehicle as you can get.

·
Registered
S2000, 61 Austin Mini
1 Posts
I'm also near West Chester, PA and watching for a G1 Insight (as a hobby car, not a commuter/daily driver).

Honda designed/built some amazing cars/engines (Formula 1, S2000, NSX, Type R Civics, etc.) from 1985-2005. The G1 Insight might come to be appreciated in that context. There was a nice G1 review in the Jan. 2016 issue of the now-defunct Hemmings Sports & Exotic Cars magazine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts