Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 red MT 175K miles (3rd owner), 2002 silver CVT 240K miles (2nd owner)
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Unfortunately the catalytic converter in my 2000 Insight finally rusted through. There's no sign of the exhaust manifold stay left, that rusted out a long time ago.
I can't afford a new OEM catalytic converter, and haven't found the exhaust manifold stays anywhere.

I tried to buy an Eastern 40730 through Rock Auto- AP Exhaust shipped me the wrong part twice before realizing they didn't actually have any stock of the 40730 but someone had put a bunch of other models in boxes marked with that part number. They don't plan on making any for months, because people keep stealing cats from less-rare vehicles. So that was an unfortunate waste of time and shipping tape.

I'm in NY state also, so the super-super-discount aftermarket cats might be a no-go. It sounded like the Eastern one might have actually had some catalyst in it.

If you've got a cat in reasonable condition (OEM or maybe the Eastern one), let me know. I have two good O2 sensors, so I don't need those. If you know of any source that has the exhaust manifold stays that would also be great!

OEM part #s-
Exhaust manifold stays: 11941-PHM-000
Catalytic converter: 06180-PHM-A00

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,602 Posts
The stay is easy to fabricate if you have the tools and access to metal pieces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stay is easy to fabricate if you have the tools and access to metal pieces.
I did consider that, but I've never even actually seen one since they're missing on both my cars. Anyone have the dimensions or a scale diagram or something?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did consider that, but I've never even actually seen one since they're missing on both my cars. Anyone have the dimensions or a scale diagram or something?
That Manifold Stay is important to keep the cat from cracking. It rusted out on my 2001 and the cat cracked at the top joint. My dealer-maintained 2000 yard sale find was missing it, so I installed one first thing.
Someone else I know had a cat crack after the stay rusted out, and for some reason the dealer she took it to was willing to weld the cat, but insisted she didn't need the stay - even refused to install it.

Now that it it discontinued, yet critical, maybe Scott KYLR3CYL can duplicate and machine them to offer as well as his indispensable custom belly pan.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lucky you being in New York like me. I had an issue last fall with crack at the inlet of the 2nd catalytic converter. Aftermarket replacements were not expensive but they are illegal in New York due to CARB rules 😡 Luckily a friend recommended a small exhaust shop in Lindenhurst here on Long Island. The guy is a real craftsman. He fabricated a new inlet to the cat and arc welded it all together. Cost $80 and I tipped him $20. Finding a repair shop may be the best bet these days in New York.

One thing I have yet to research is whether or not the restriction on aftermarket cat's goes away when the car turns 25. At age 25, cars become exempt from (downstate) New York emissions inspections. At the point, you can have a failed IMA/CEL light and just need to pass the $10 safety inspection. If the vehicle is exempt at that point, I would think (granted we are dealing with government rules) that aftermarket exhaust components would be okay.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,125 Posts
Hi, I used to live in Ontario. My first Insight had the exact same issue. I went to Canadian Tire and just got a generic steel exhaust flange of the appropriate diameter and welded it on there. I think it's 2" or 2.5" I forget. It looked almost exactly like this one:

Yeah it was the bolt-on type like this, but I welded the whole thing together. That was over 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

You just gotta find one that matches the bolts of the exhaust piece it's attaching to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, 2000 so MT. The garage I've been going to doesn't think the cat is repairable. I realized I had a problem when I tried to replace the lower O2 sensor and the threaded bung came out with the sensor when I torqued it a little bit. Then the cat separated from the downstream pipe after driving it a couple more days. I'm pretty sure the bottom of the cat is basically rusted through, though I've actually only seen it from the top so far. If I can't find a reasonably-priced replacement, and assuming the actual catalyst is still in my existing unit, I might try to find a fabrication shop that could do something with it. I'm in Rochester, so Long Island is a bit far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I can't find a reasonably-priced replacement, and assuming the actual catalyst is still in my existing unit, I might try to find a fabrication shop that could do something with it. I'm in Rochester, so Long Island is a bit far.
Yes that is a trip. Haven't been to Rochester area in many years. Used to overnight in Henrietta on my way to Toronto if it was running late and I did not want to risk drowsy driving.

It bugs me no end that in 47 states (excluding CA, NY and I believe ME), EPA approved aftermarket cat's are good to go. As I mentioned, an aftermarket 2nd cat assembly is about $250. A Honda one, if it is still sold, is around $1100. As I read the law, if OEM cat parts are no longer available, then you can get an exception for an aftermarket replacement. I am still curious if the restriction goes away at 25 years.

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
You could find someone willing to ignore what's under the hood and just get rid of both cats, as long as it passes the OBD2 test. A lot of CA people that are in the car scene do that because of how communist this state is, unfortunately.

[Edit]: Aren't things even more strict up there in NY? Don't they do a full inspection of suspension components or something?

·
Registered
238 Posts
[Edit]: Aren't things even more strict up there in NY? Don't they do a full inspection of suspension components or something?
Not that I am aware of. They check lights, wipers, brakes, tires, window tint and horn (off the top of my head - goes pretty quick). Emissions are done through the OBDII port now. In the past they used a dynamometer. They still used it for pre-OBDII vehicles but since the newest pre-OBDII vehicle is now over 25 years old, they are no longer checked for emissions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to try the CVT one since others on this site have reported no issues. I'll see if Scott has any leads on the support bracket/manifold stay. Yes, I could probably get by without the cat around here because the inspection isn't as detailed as in NYC or CA, but I feel better about having it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas

Here's a pic of an OEM exhaust stay on my 2001 CVT to help you with getting one fabricated. View is looking down over the top/rear of the engine. The exhaust stay is to the right of the catalytic converter (outlined in red). I'd guess the OEM one to be 3/16" thick steel...maybe 3/4" in width. Looks to be a flat dog leg where it attaches to the cat with about a 90 degree bend where it attaches to the engine. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
insight 2006 MTinsight 2005 MT
67 Posts
if someone wants to make an Exhaust manifold stays: 11941-PHM-000 this is what it looks like and in attachement I include here a plan to make your own.
I note all angles and where to bend
be careful when you print to remove the fit in page.
the original was made with 5/32 metal

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if someone wants to make an Exhaust manifold stays: 11941-PHM-000 this is what it looks like and in attachement I include here a plan to make your own.
I note all angles and where to bend
be careful when you print to remove the fit in page.
the original was made with 5/32 metal
View attachment 92262 View attachment 92263
This is awesome, thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts