Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My 2002 CVT Insight was overheating recently and the Honda Service tech told me the cylinder head needed to be re-milled (at a crazy expense) and that if the re-milling didn't work, the head would have to be replaced with a new OEM part (at an even more crazy expense).

Does anyone have a good used head for sale? I'm in SE Michigan and I'm willing to drive an hour or two to pick one up. I'd also be OK with having one shipped.

Please PM me if you have one available... or know where I could find one!

Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
... or know where I could find one!
There are a page full of them listed on car-part.com right now. car-part is a place where junkyards and used car dealers can list parts for anyone to buy, and they seem to provide a back end that junkyards can use to show which parts in what cars are on their own lots on the junkyards' own websites.

Only a few are priced, $150 to $350. The others are $CALL (for a price). The closest one is in Taylor, MI for $350. The next three are between 200 and 300 miles away from that one, in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. (The sellers will often ship a part.)

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
The head probably only needs resurfacing, not milled. That is something that any machine shop can do at a reasonable cost .
Got the head gasket in hand? need a pic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
straightening the head is a pretty simple process for a machine shop. Might want to freshen up the head at the same time if you plan to keep the car along time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your useful advice!

I found a local machine shop who offered to resurface the head for $60... but he doesn't take apart engines. I tried to find a shop that would do that part of the work, and they are all quoting me around $1,000!

If I had the know-how, tools, space, or one of you helpful guys around, I'd attempt the repair on my own. But I don't have any of those things, and without the money for further repairs, I am putting the car up for sale.

My "for sale" post will be up shortly. Very sad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One more option

If you want to drive to Tennessee, My mechanic can do it for $200.

We can get the head done for $45. May not be practical for you, but
lets you know what is out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your post and your kind offer. I have really appreciated the support of the community on this forum!

While I don't think I can make it down to TN, it's good to know that my intuition that replacing a head gasket and resurfacing a head could (should?) cost a fraction of the quotes I am receiving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts