Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good working, used upper O2 LAF sensor for a manual transmission 2000 Honda Insight. Looking for either an OEM one or an NTK 24301. The OEM part number is: 36531-PHM-A02

Thanks!
Bryan

·
Registered
981 Posts
Not knowing your actual use case, you should know that there really is no such thing as a good used LAF sensor. They have a life of maybe 100K miles and won't throw a code after that but will result in a loss of 5-10 MPG and difficulties with lean burn in particular. I have found no way to tell good from bad, and they cannot be cleaned once contaminated.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,372 Posts
"Amazon" has them at a reasonable price.(genuine NTK)

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Sean. This is very interesting! On my "good" Insight, I replaced the LAF sensor in December of 2010 with 75,689 miles on the odometer. I now have over 259,000 miles on the odometer, meaning my current LAF sensor has over 183,000 miles on it! While I'm needing an LAF sensor for my beater Insight, I'm tempted to now buy a new sensor for my good Insight and move my old one to the beater.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for the reply Sean. This is very interesting! On my "good" Insight, I replaced the LAF sensor in December of 2010 with 75,689 miles on the odometer. I now have over 259,000 miles on the odometer, meaning my current LAF sensor has over 183,000 miles on it! While I'm needing an LAF sensor for my beater Insight, I'm tempted to now buy a new sensor for my good Insight and move my old one to the beater.
Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see if the new LAF sensor makes a difference. Then again, these maintenance items are like peeling an onion. I tried a LAF sensor from a car with 125K on mine which was at about 150K and it did not make a noticeable difference but a new sensor yielded better mileage and some improvement in lean burn. Granted, it is an 04 which uses a Denso system instead of the NTK setup in the earlier models. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I replaced my used but working one with a brand new NTK. No difference in mpg or any other metric. Unfortunately I just sold the spare but good luck!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just purchased a new one from Rock auto this morning, based upon the comments of @*sean*. I keep meticulous fuel economy record keeping and my fuel economy has been down the last few years. I used to average several summer tanks around 80MPG. I haven't had one over 80 in the last 45,000 miles -- and that last one was back in summer of 2018. I'll report back what happens after I get it installed.

·
Administrator
12,784 Posts
I agree with SEAN, a second hand O2 sensor is usually a false economy.

Looks like you are sorted now. (y)

I also deleted an obvious spam scam bait post from this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts