Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears the PO of my red 2000 Insight just sort of glued the garnish moulding in place with some roofing caulk in lieu of the proper snap-in hardware, so it went for a flyer today on the highway! Likely run over, flew into a ditch as I sped away. Anyone holding? I can reshoot the paint but sure would prefer not to if a red one's available. I found a couple guys on ebay that are maybes...thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same thing happen to one of mine. I don't know much about the whole clips issue though I've read that they're a weak point. That looks to me like appropriate OEM installation (or repair, though I'm not that knowledgeable on this panel to be honest). It looks like mine, and that black stuff is looks like automotive sealers used in similar applications (watch a windshield replacement sometime and you'll get it).

I don't know where your car spent most of its life. Mine was a CA car (super faded roof paint) that then came to Chicago and learned about a bunch of rain. My theory is the clips align the part and the adhesive does quite a bit of the work of keeping it in place. Over time the adhesive dry rots and then if a good wind and/or rain at speed can make that bit go flying. It happened to me on the highway in such a heavy rain I didn't even notice it gone until I got home 100 miles from the start of my trip.

Side note (why not make this post longer) - various forms of that adhesive exist and usually come in caulk tubes. There's a strip version mechanics will refer to as 'dum dum' which has plenty of 'proper' uses but is also a great staple to have around the garage. I learned to use just a dab on sockets when you are removing a bolt which will then fall out and be lost forever, or similarly when you're trying to put a bolt in place with an extension and socket (because you can't get your fingers in there) and need the bolt to stay in the socket until you get it to the hole and start threading.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Don't blame the PO. This was done by a glass shop.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sam, you saying this wasn't the way it was done OEM? When mine came off it pretty much looked exactly the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Absolutely not. It was held on by plastic clips. When a glass shop doesn't have the clips they try to glue it on. Then later it flies off. This video will explain it.

Sam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, thanks for that. I just assumed it was probably clips AND [proper] glue during manufacturing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sam, actually the PO told me he did this as part of the wet seatbelt repair. Also said he used Tesla clips because they're "the same", but I only see one clip instead of the 9 or so required.

Steve, indeed, the idea is that the moulding slides into the metal clips you see, then plastic cleats pop into the holes that are gunked up with the windshield goo. When I did the repair on my previous Insight I only used a dab of silicone around the hole, for sealing purposes, but the plastic cleat did the holding work. Clearly I need to do it myself again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah. The wet seatbelt repair needs silicone involved BUT you have to buy new clips if you want the molding to stay in place. Forget the clips, you lose the molding. Forget the silicone, you get wet in the rain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts