Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 is throwing a P1584 code which is related to the W motor current sensor in the MDM module in the back. It could be a loose connection, or it could be a failed sensor. Could someone sell me one so I can swap out for testing ? I don't know what it looks like yet.

I live in Victoria BC and USPS posting would be fine, happy to send $$ by PayPal.

I will be travelling next few days so response may be delayed.

thanks,
Bruce

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
I’m sure I have one, I’ll need to dig it out and see what it will take to ship it. I’ve shipped a number of times to Canada.

Scott

Reactions: NewOwner

·
Linsight Designer
2,585 Posts
FYI: it's in the IMA bay, inside the PDU, where the three orange phase wires come into the IMA bay (directly behind the driver seat). Fairly straightforward to get to... just take your time and remember to wait for the HVDC to discharge.

If KLR3CYL doesn't have a sensor, I certainly do... PM me if needed. I'd rather you buy it from Scott (KLR3CYL), because then I won't have to deal with shipping it. But I'm here if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I’m sure I have one, I’ll need to dig it out and see what it will take to ship it. I’ve shipped a number of times to Canada.

Scott
If you can't find one, I'll pull the one out of my parts car since I'll be back there this weekend, and can drop it off to you when I come pick up my springs and stuff. Just lmk.(I don't want anything for it).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - sounds like you're finding one.Let me know what you'd like from me.
I may be out of Internet range for a few days after Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Good morning Bruce,

I have pulled the sensor and have it on the bench waiting to hear from you. I’ll send you a conversation with some of the details I need.

Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received the motor current sensor from Scott - thank you !

I first checked the ground straps and G1 and G2 look mint - no breaks or corrosion.

I looked over the procedure to swap out the sensor and was a bit wary iof whether I could do all of that myself. I took it to the local Honda dealer, knowing it would be expensive but they would have the procedures. The mechanic followed the procedures in the factory diagnostic manual - checking circuits and connections - and then took out the Power Control Module and swapped in the new sensor. He reassembled everything and the code is still there. The Check Engine Light and the IMA light are still both on, and now the DRL light too. The engine is starting on the 12V starter. The hybrid battery indicator is blank.

I spoke with the mechanic and he seemed very straightforward about it - gave me advice on how to do the process if I want to try again.

So I'm baffled.

First question - is the hybrid system charging enough to run the DC/DC converter and keep the 12V system charging ? If I keep driving the car will the 12V battery eventually run down the hybrid battery and leave me dead on the side of the road ? The mechanic said it's showing charging voltage at the 12V battery with the engine running.

Second question - what else to do ? I could re / re the Power Control Module again and swap the W and V sensors to see if the error code switches from the W circuit to another one, in case the original and the replacement ones are really both bad. But that would be another several hours against a low probability that both sensors are bad.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked the mechanic about checking the connections of the high voltage wires to the motor/generator in the front, but they look clean. He said that because it's reporting a low voltage code that seems unlikely - that a bad connection would generate a high voltage code.
P 1584 "Motor Current W Phase Signal Circuit Low Input"

·
Administrator
13,053 Posts
With an Honda Diagnostic HDS or OBDIIC&C plugged in what voltage/current does the W phase current sensor show with ignition on and engine not running?

What are the readings for the other phase sensors?

If it does not read 2.5V or ~0A then something is wrong.

Post results

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are all of the codes I could squeeze out of my Innova 3100 CanOBD2 reader with ignition ON and engine not running:
Gadget Communication Device Telephony Font Gas
.. .do I need something different ?

Light Communication Device Gadget Input device Telephony

Communication Device Telephony Gadget Audio equipment Gas

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device Audio equipment

Communication Device Gadget Telephony Input device Audio equipment

Communication Device Mobile phone Measuring instrument Gadget Finger

This P1600 showed up as a Permanent Code:

Telephony Communication Device Office equipment Telephone Gadget

Gadget Communication Device Telephony Font Gas

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,053 Posts
My guess is it's either the MCM or the IMA wire harness.
I agree but it would be nice to have some readings...

OP Using a multimeter measure the voltage at the W phase sensor signal wire as it enters the MCM with ign on and report back. It should be about 2.5V

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree but it would be nice to have some readings...

OP Using a multimeter measure the voltage at the W phase sensor signal wire as it enters the MCM with ign on and report back. It should be about 2.5V
I need a bit more guidance .. I've never been into the circuit diagrams before (520 PDFs?) and am having trouble figuring out which one is for the phase sensor signal. Could you post the page number or picture of the connector ?

Is it one of the connectors on this harness ?
Slope Font Parallel Technical drawing Schematic

thanks ..

·
Administrator
13,053 Posts
Connector 10 in that pic. MCM (B)

Using 0-5V scale multimeter or nearest equivalent measure each pin 6,7,8 in turn to ground pin (25) Red/Yellow

Pin 6 (green) W Phase
Pin 7 (red/blue) V Phase
Pin 8 (white) U Phase

Measure voltages at 6,7,8 with connector 10 plugged into MCM and without.

So do six readings in all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Connector 10 in that pic. MCM (B)

Using 0-5V scale multimeter or nearest equivalent measure each pin 6,7,8 in turn to ground pin (25) Red/Yellow

Pin 6 (green) W Phase
Pin 7 (red/blue) V Phase
Pin 8 (white) U Phase

Measure voltages at 6,7,8 with connector 10 plugged into MCM and without.

So do six readings in all.
Great - will do.
Font Parallel Number Pattern Rectangle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My digital multimeter has 20 V and 2 V scales, so I used the 20 V scale.
The leads on my multimetre are too thick to get into the back of the connector plug, so I wrapped short sections of 16-gauge copper wire tightly around them and after a while got reasonably consistent readings. Here are the results of my most consistent set:

Ignition on, MCM Connector B plugged in:
Lead 6 to 25: 0 V ; 6 to ground: 0 V
Lead 7 to 25: 4.8 V ; 7 to ground: 0.13 V
Lead 8 to 25: 2.4 V; 8 to ground: 0.08 V

Ignition on, MCM Connector B unplugged:
Lead 6 to 25: 0 V; 6 to ground: 0.17 V
Lead 7 to 25: 0.08 V; 7 to ground: 0.39 V
Lead 8 to 25: 0.08 V; 8 to ground: 0.62 V

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
The leads on my multimetre are too thick to get into the back of the connector plug, so I wrapped short sections of 16-gauge copper wire tightly around them and after a while got reasonably consistent readings. Here are the results of my most consistent set:
You can sharpen and thin the leads tips with a file. I've done this to cheap leads and it works great. I tried wrapping wire around the tips and found that unreliable:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will try again this evening

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can sharpen and thin the leads tips with a file. I've done this to cheap leads and it works great. I tried wrapping wire around the tips and found that unreliable:(
I tested the wrapped wire on a 1.5V and 9V battery and got good readings. Wrapping them tight each time. Not ideal for sure, but I don't know if I could fit my long leads into the space even if they were sharp enough at the tips to go into the connector.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts