Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Will try again this evening
I finally got consistent readings using a piece of 26 gauge wire to get into the back of the connector.
Ignition on, plugged in, across pin 25:
6 (Green) : 4.82 V;
7 (Blue): 2.48 V;
8 (White): 2.48 V
Unplugged, readings were 0.0 V across pin 25, but I could get around 0.02 V from 6, 7, or 8 to ground.

The Connector View in the manual shows the Green Pin 8 as from the W phase, and that's the one that's different. What does that say to you ?

·
Administrator
13,067 Posts
With the connector plugged in temporarily cut the green wire and measure the voltage at both cut ends with reference to pin 25.

MCM connector end Voltage = ?
Phase sensor end Voltage = ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
With the connector plugged in temporarily cut the green wire and measure the voltage at both cut ends with reference to pin 25.

MCM connector end Voltage = ?
Phase sensor end Voltage = ?
Cutting those very thin wires in the tightly packed wiring harness is a bit scary for me. What will this tell us ?

·
Administrator
13,067 Posts
Cutting those very thin wires in the tightly packed wiring harness is a bit scary for me. What will this tell us ?
Where the fault is... (y)

Peel back some insulation tape if needed.

You only need to cut the green wire...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I worked up my courage and cut the green wire.
Plug end to pin 25: 0 V
Harness end to pin 25: 4.94 V

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The harness or the phase sensor is faulty..
The MCM is ok.
Thanks for that good news.

It would be nice to get my hands on another phase sensor to swap out again. This time I think I would move one of the known good ones (U or V) to the W postion, and replace that with the new (to me) one. And an IMA harness in case the sensor replacement doesn't work. I am willing to pay fair price & shipping of course. It looks like Scott has some sensors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The harness or the phase sensor is faulty..
The MCM is ok.
I've soldered a section in to rejoin the wire I cut, and I'm hoping that Scott will send me a sensor or two and maybe an IMA harness to try to fix it.
The 12V warning light was not on, and the 12V battery was showing charging voltage at the terminals, so it seems that it was still charging from the IMA through the DC/DC converter, to the 12V battery. If I pull the two plugs out of the Battery Condition Monitor, will I be able to drive the car gas-only until the sensor code is fixed? Does that make sense ?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts