Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just sprung for an XM Radio setup, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the XM radio head. I have the 'roadie' model, which is a lot smaller than their original system, but I still don't see a great place to mount it. I'm considering placing it on the left side of the steering wheel where the 3 knockouts are. Does anybody have any other recommendations?

The rest of the installation so far has gone relatively well. I have an Alpine CD player as the head unit, and I am using an XM RF Modulator that is tapped into the antenna for the auto feed, and the wires feeding the cigarette lighter for the power feed. The power requirements are appoximately 1 amp, so that leaves plenty on for the lighter for the cell phone charger that I use on it.

The antenna that came with the system currently is mounted on the back window, with a strong magnet under the glass and antenna to hold it down. It is one of the minor hassles of having an aluminum car.

Eventually I am going to get a glass mount XM antenna, then I will have the rest of the roady system to put in my truck, so I can move the xm head unit between the truck and the car. According to the instructions it isn't supposed to work on glass, but here in Atlanta they seem to have repeaters so it is working on for the time being.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

After a lot of headscratching, I came up with putting it into the area between the stick shift and the cup-holders. I went out and got a piece of aluminum, some pop-rivets, and placed it between the shift boot and the console. I've taken a fair number of pictures that I can place on a website if anybody is interested. I tried placing them on geocities, and it kept crashing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Update

ScottH said:
After a lot of headscratching, I came up with putting it into the area between the stick shift and the cup-holders. I went out and got a piece of aluminum, some pop-rivets, and placed it between the shift boot and the console. I've taken a fair number of pictures that I can place on a website if anybody is interested. I tried placing them on geocities, and it kept crashing.
If you have pics I'd like to see them. I'm getting ready to get an Insight and I want to put XM on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts