Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid around $2900 for it which is on the high side but it has 147k miles with a good battery so I thought it was worth it.

Gonna be doing the regular maintenance now

Replace the engine oil/filter
Transmission fluid
Clean the EGR valve/plate
Replace Cabin Filter

Super excited to be a part of this community though.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Best wishes everyone

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Welcome! Looks nice!

Reactions: olrowdy01

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,765 Posts
Take that red paint off the lic. plate, that will get you a ticket.
Welcome to the "ELITE FAMILY".

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
That is a great price for a car with a working batery. Welcome!

Reactions: Phantom Z3

·
Registered
241 Posts
Paid around $2900 for it which is on the high side but it has 147k miles with a good battery so I thought it was worth it.

Transmission fluid
Replace Cabin Filter

View attachment 93953

Best wishes everyone
Congratulations on the great find. I like the pin stripes. You will have a lot of fun with your Gen 1. Welcome to the Forum!

·
Linsight Designer
2,930 Posts
I agree with @jeffffej: $2900 is a good price if the IMA battery is good. Now you can take the $18000 you saved (by not buying a brand new car) and accessorize, repair, and learn! Insights are addictive!

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I agree with @jeffffej: $2900 is a good price if the IMA battery is good. Now you can take the $18000 you saved (by not buying a brand new car) and accessorize, repair, and learn! Insights are addictive!
Jeez show me what car is brand new at 18k these days! He saved more like 30!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Yeah really I read that and was like wow...people around here think it's 2018.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
70 Posts

Transmission fluid
Replace Cabin Filter

View attachment 93953

Best wishes everyone
I paid $3100 (asking was $3600) for my basket case with 200k. New battery a year ago but had a CEL and no AC. So I effectively paid $3600 to get it in shape, but sooooo well worth it.

When I went to college a few years ago, I got 20mpg in a 23 year old car and could barelypay for food, rent, and gas. So I motorized a bike that did about 50mpg.

The gas you'll save driving an insight around really is something different. Learn to keep it in lean burn, do a few cheap mods and you're off! I wouldn't give up my insight even for a new car with similar mpg (unless it was another manual insight lol). I value a user/enthusiast serviceable car.

·
Linsight Designer
2,930 Posts
$18000 + $2900 = $20900
Brand new cars you can buy right now for less than $20900:
Mitsubishi Mirage
Chevy Spark
Nissan Versa, Sentra
Kia Rio, Forte, Soul
Hyundai Accent, Venue
Ford EcoSport
Toyota Corolla

If I were on a tight budget and for some reason had to purchase a new car, I'd go for the Toyota Corolla LE. Great little car.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
$18000 + $2900 = $20900
Brand new cars you can buy right now for less than $20900:
Mitsubishi Mirage
Chevy Spark
Nissan Versa, Sentra
Kia Rio, Forte, Soul
Hyundai Accent, Venue
Ford EcoSport
Toyota Corolla

If I were on a tight budget and for some reason had to purchase a new car, I'd go for the Toyota Corolla LE. Great little car.
Love the Corolla. My dad bought an 03 many many years ago used (only had like 20k miles) and last I looked it was at 240k and still going (original engine and transmission).

·
Registered
2002 Insight 5MT A/C
39 Posts
Nice car -- great purchase! Also a college student here with a 2002 silverstone 5MT. I paid practically the same price in the same condition.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good deal. Enjoy it.

Take the money you aren't spending on a payment every month and put it somewhere safe but accessible. honda or not, it's a 20 year old machine and machines break. It will need work, better to have saved up for it.

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
Good deal. Enjoy it.

Take the money you aren't spending on a payment every month and put it somewhere safe but accessible. honda or not, it's a 20 year old machine and machines break. It will need work, better to have saved up for it.
This.

The Insight has good bones and, if you take care of it, it is a very reliable vehicle. However, like all old cars, you need to be prepared to spend real money to keep it going. Repairs can easily run into the thousands of dollars range.

Here is just a short list of common Insight/old car issues.

Unless the radiator has been replaced already, it almost certainly needs one.
Should be inspected for a coolant manifold leak.
Front crank seal
Accessory belt
Idler pulley bearing
Valve cover gasket and valve adjustment
Transmission service
Hybrid battery replacement
Struts, shocks and springs.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Not to mention the stupid amount of money on gas and to a lesser extent, oil changes, tires, and maintenance. You’ll get way more of everything back from this little .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts