Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Yakima roof rack with Q towers. The rack came with Q99 clips but I'm not sure if the clips are all the same front and back. The back feels snug with the Q99 clips but the front ones looked a bit loose with the Q99 clips.

Does anyone know if the front ones take different clips?

Sorry for the bad images. I'll take better pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I check the website and it just says 99 for clips. I had a roof rack like that and it was a pain to setup. I had to lay it loosely on the roof then mount the towers to the roof edge, center the bar and lock the set screws. I then added an extra turn to the towers and reclamped them down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I was shopping for a roof rack I recall I did not like the fit of the Yakima Q towers at all on the Insight. They worked great on the two other cars, but the Inside has rounded edges and I did not like it. I returned the towers and clips and went with Yakima Landing Pads, permanently installed.

Sorry for the bad video...

Yakima Control Towers and Landing Pad Roof Rack on Honda Insight - YouTube

And another view starting at the 6:56 mark:
Think Eze Surf Ski Test Paddle and Walk Through - YouTube

By the way, I no longer use the fairing - a bungee as seen in the second video just after the 7the minute mark eliminates the noise from the rack just as good if not better than the fairing and has less air drag than it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Kocho, thanks for sharing the videos... I do agree that those landing pads looks a lot cleaner than the Q towers and clips. Are you talking about the bungee cord that wrapped around your bars? Those eliminated the noise? Wow...

My local Rerack store is selling this thing called yakima wind jammer and I heard it works really well. The main purpose of my roof rack is coz I bike a lot (Road Bike and Mountain biking). I think I will stick with my Q towers.

On a side note, did you notice a drop with your miles per gallon after installing the roof rack? I'm curious.... I have not drove my car and its been parked in the garage ever since this crazy snow storm that we have here in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I got the flaring and wind jammer. No noise that I could recall, but lost like 4 mpg. Id considered buying a more universal one from jcwhitney that bolts on requiring you to drill holes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, the bungees eliminate the howling noise from the round bars. It brakes the smooth flow around them so, while they still make some noise, it is not loud and penetrating like before. The flaring works well too, but it interferes with some of my attachments so I just stopped using it. I have not tried the small clip-on thingies on the photo above, but I imagine they work well.

I notice the rack on top in terms of mileage. Depends on how fast I drive, but it is at least 5mpg for the rack alone. With a full set of skis/snowboards and the racks that hold them I cover every inch of the bars - it gets noisy then and noticeably resists the car on the highway :(.

The landing pads setup is really easy to put on and take off, plus I wanted a longer spread front to back to carry long boats. I got just over 40" on my setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
wow your mileage is going to suffer horribly from that roof rack system. I had a thule rack system on my 2000 civic hatch and my mileage went from 38 mpg to 31 lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The mileage drop depends on the speed a lot. Below 40mph it does not matter too much, above that it gets progressively worse. Add a couple of kayaks and you get the idea... Still, on a 1,000+ roundtrip with two lightweight slim racing kayaks on top and two people and our gear inside, mine did 40mpg at an average speed of about 60mph and almost never above 65mph. If I drive the same setup at around 70mph it gets down to mid to low 30s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm doing some testing... So far I have it on there and I have been averaging about 44MPG compare to before where I was getting 46MPG and of course I drive not more than 60MPH in the freeway.

·
Registered
306 Posts
roof rack

I bought a Yakima roof rack with Q towers. The rack came with Q99 clips but I'm not sure if the clips are all the same front and back. The back feels snug with the Q99 clips but the front ones looked a bit loose with the Q99 clips.

Does anyone know if the front ones take different clips?

Sorry for the bad images. I'll take better pics tomorrow.

to whom it concerns,ive used the same roof rack on my last 3 cars,including my 2010 insight,previous cars were skoda fabia hatch/s felicia estate,bog standard halfords roofrack,,,tok 25 minutes to adjust,,works fine,and i use them occasionally to carry ladders for work,,dont k why ppl spend big money on roofracks,when you can get a set fairly cheap at any branch of halfords in ireland,or the uk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts