Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep.....had trouble starting this morning....then the IMA/CEL lights came.
Taking it to Honda today.....I'll let ya know.

Start giving me warranty ammo if ya'll could please//////

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh boy!

825 for the voltage control module (vcm) installed....sound right?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Nope :!: vcm :?: :!: :? AFAIK no such thing on an Insight.

Without a code reported by you its 100% guesswork in here for the rest of us vs. the normal 90% or so percentage. (blindfolded and by remote control diagnosis)

And I'm further guessing that the 825 value you've thrown out is a cost amount. Read the IMA warranty extension thread. Unless your over the 150,000 mile mark anything IMA battery related (depends on the codes again) would be free.

With the information _you_ generally include in your posts there's very little the group can do to help.

If it's your choice of "style" then C'est La Vie.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so sorry!

I posted BOTH of those from my phone WHILE driving so please forgive the shortness.

I will call the dealership today and ask for error codes and part numbers.

And yeah now that I look at it on this site I don't see "VCM" either....

Is it ok to drive without IMA? I will look that up....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

just spoke with the svc mgr at my dealership.
Part number 633956 for "VCM"

No error code. They will NOT do a goodwill extention on this....

I'm screwed.....she gonna be "ima-less" for a bit.....

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAIK 663956 is not a valid Honda part number.

It doesn't follow the standard convention 5digit-3digit-3+digit although there are older hardware numbers that still don't either.

We're "screwed" too with such scant and confusing information from you. :|

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
man

you are really on my case.....i'm just telling you what they tell me.

I have another call into the mgr.....I will try to get "real" part numbers and error codes.....but it's like pulling teeth from a dealership...

·
Registered
344 Posts
If the IMA light is on, page 12-5 of the Insight Service Manual says:
If the IMA system indicator lamp stays on, check the DTC (diagnostic trouble code). The dealer should have read a code. I would take it to an auto parts store if you don't have an OBD reader and have them check it. Then go back to the dealer armed with the code number and definition as well as a copy of this:

HONDA AUTOMOBILE DIVISION
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Blvd.,
P.O. Box 2215
Torrance, CA 90509-9870

Summer 2006

Warranty Extension: Insight Integrated Motor Assist Battery Module

Dear Insight Owner:

This letter is to notify you of a warranty extension on your vehicle's integrated motor assist (IMA) battery Module. Warranty Extension Details
The integrated motor assist (IMA) system in your vehicle assists the gasoline engine for better acceleration. To ensure the IMA system remains in top condition, we are announcing a warranty extension for the IMA battery module. The IMA battery module is now covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
If the IMA indicator on your vehicle's instrument panel stays on while you are driving, take your vehicle to any Honda dealer for an inspection. If the dealer finds the problem to be the IMA battery module, they will replace it. Depending on your vehicle's year and model, the dealer will also replace one or two additional control modules in the IMA system. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error

Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a 2000-04 Insight receiving this warranty extension.

If this is not the case, or the name/address information is incorrect, please fill out and return the enclosed postage paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.
If you paid to have a defective IMA battery module replaced sometime in the past, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the attached Instructions for Reimbursement for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

If you have questions.

If you have questions about this notice, or need help contacting a Honda dealer, please call Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009.
Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Honda Automobile Division

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow

thanks for all that!
yeah I have a case opened w/Honda America.
When I called the dealership the service MANAGER said "if you want that code you have to bring it back and have that diagnostic run....AT YOUR COST".....when I asked for the part number he said "sorry that's all I got"

lonox: thanks for the info. I'll try that if Honda does not please me.

I said to Honda: "I have had 5 Hondas in my lifetime, none of them made me think Honda was a bad choice at all....this dealership/vehicle has made me question that".

Honda said to me: "sir, it's not the car, it's probably your dealer....this one has a bad history"

HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT!?!?!?!?!!? YES HE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we will see....no call so far.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah

and my gas mileage has been on the increase since the IMA failed.....seems I am LESS on the gas now knowing the 12V charge issue.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: wow

trunkout said:
this one has a bad history
I'd start looking for a new dealer pronto!

Should be several better ones to choose from in your area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah

one other dealer here in KC tried to take sides with the body shop THAT PAINTED MY PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR. Then tried to argue with my insurance agent I've had for like twelve years.

Isn't there a trustworthy, honest snake oil salesman in Kansas City??

:badgrin:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well darn

looks like Honda turned down my request for help on the "voltage control module" part # 1E171-PHM-003.

So I ask you, oh insightfil trekker, does this sound legit?

I asked Honda three times for the part name and number.....this what I got.

I think I'm gonna buy a battery charger and plug the 12V in every night......should be fine.....we'll see how long past 100k and no battery assist she will last soon enough. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
No it doesn't.

But you've still posted incorrect and insufficient information for us to be of help here (VCM). I guess somebody could go to the difficulty of trying to cross reference the PN to its description and maybe figure it out. And if that's what your dealer is telling you then that would be all the information I'd need to RUN in the opposite direction. If "they" don't know the correct terminology how can you trust them with more complex tasks :?: And they can't even report the code :?: :lol: According to your report even Honda told you not to go back :!: :shock:

Unless your over the 80K mile mark then IMO it is NOT "legit". And depending on the specific code unless your over the 150K mark it is not legit to decline _some_ specific IMA code(s) warranty.

IF it is the BCM then depending in the codes _and_ several specifics as to how its failing it is theoretically possible that it _will_ "damage" the IMA batteries.

Drive without the IMA :?: Do your homework. There are several threads on the subject in here. For awhile, yes. Indefinitely :?: No.

Hint: Try posting from a computer and include sufficient information for the group to be of some help next time. A cell phone's keyboard and screen simply isn't up to the task.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah

the afforementioned part number comes up as a $12.50 resistor.
And you are right....NO ONE lists "voltage control module" as a part for this car.

Needless to say I have re-opened and escalated my case number with Honda America.

The squeeky wheel gets oiled :badgrin:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so......

Honda America called me back....seems the part number is 1B220-PHM-003 and it is a pre-driver unit costing $449.18.

Looked it up on honda's website....no such part....

The saga continues....

correction: it does exsist.

It is NOT covered under warranty...not by the extended (150K) warranty according to Honda

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
It is part of the PDU assembly and shown as item number 2 in this diagram: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Insight&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+DX+A/C&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=IMA+PDU ... I used the year 2003 for a
better diagram than the 2001 but the part number and price are the
same. Suggested price $449.18 Majestic Honda price $336.88 If there
is no warranty and you feel that you can replace it yourself, I would
just buy it from Majestic Honda.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and on that note

she will remain IMAless until further notice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you ever have another obd reader read your code?
I would not trust the dealer after all of the confirmed bad info they have given you. Autozone and some other major parts stores will read your code for free. If your IMA light was on, there was a code thrown. Maybe Mike D. can explain the system function of the predriver??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts