Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having time on my hands in the current situation, I decided to do a CVT fluid change. Going by the car's full service history and the fact the engine oil seems very clean, plus there being no transmission issues, I imagined it probably wouldn't need doing, but hey.

Wrong. First problem was removing the drain plug. After about an hour and a lot of swearing, it was done. The magnet was furry with small metal particles, nothing too sinister or untoward. But the CVT fluid was totally black - really black, like unchanged 100k-mile engine oil. I think maybe this task has been passed over - and possibly more than once - due to the recalcitrant drain plug, which shows evidence of incompetence and difficulty i.e. it's really chewed up to hell. Kind of worrying as it's a 2009 car, owned since January and there's no way of knowing when the last change occurred. I've ordered a new plug and washer. And more fluid.

I got 3 litres of fluid out and put 3 litres back in. Honda CVTF.

Driving the car revealed a much smoother transmission. And the engine seems quieter somehow..? In any case it was obviously worth doing. I'm going to change it again when the engine oil and filter are due in about 3000 miles, then change it at every oil change - as per the multiple CVT threads here, frequent fluid changes are clearly key to prolonging the life of the transmission. I also have a new external filter for the next change.

Whether I'll ever get round to replacing the internal filter is another matter...

Stay well, all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Having time on my hands in the current situation, I decided to do a CVT fluid change. Going by the car's full service history and the fact the engine oil seems very clean, plus there being no transmission issues, I imagined it probably wouldn't need doing, but hey.

Wrong. First problem was removing the drain plug. After about an hour and a lot of swearing, it was done. The magnet was furry with small metal particles, nothing too sinister or untoward. But the CVT fluid was totally black - really black, like unchanged 100k-mile engine oil. I think maybe this task has been passed over - and possibly more than once - due to the recalcitrant drain plug, which shows evidence of incompetence and difficulty i.e. it's really chewed up to hell. Kind of worrying as it's a 2009 car, owned since January and there's no way of knowing when the last change occurred. I've ordered a new plug and washer. And more fluid.

I got 3 litres of fluid out and put 3 litres back in. Honda CVTF.

Driving the car revealed a much smoother transmission. And the engine seems quieter somehow..? In any case it was obviously worth doing. I'm going to change it again when the engine oil and filter are due in about 3000 miles, then change it at every oil change - as per the multiple CVT threads here, frequent fluid changes are clearly key to prolonging the life of the transmission. I also have a new external filter for the next change.

Whether I'll ever get round to replacing the internal filter is another matter...

Stay well, all.
Peace if mind now at least

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peace if mind now at least
Thanks, yes. The lesson here is, assume nothing. The car is very clean for a 2009 and has only 70k miles on it, but you never know anything for sure without checking.

I'm really hoping this will be my last combustion engine car, but realistically I'll be driving it for a good while yet, so I'd better look after it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks, yes. The lesson here is, assume nothing. The car is very clean for a 2009 and has only 70k miles on it, but you never know anything for sure without checking.

I'm really hoping this will be my last combustion engine car, but realistically I'll be needing for a good while yet, so I'd better look after it!
I'm in the same boat, would love an electric car but finances and tbe fact that the Irish government aren't putting enough chargers in place is a major factor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the same boat, would love an electric car but finances and tbe fact that the Irish government aren't putting enough chargers in place is a major factor
You can always charge from home, most people do - but you're right about finances. I think the big switch will come when a decent used EV can be got for around £5000.

I know Leafs are the most affordable atm, but a late used example with a decent battery is still tantalisingly just out of reach, for me at least.

And I'd want to keep the Insight as well for longer journeys, emergencies and for the family to use. In any case I like it, it's a good car - for a fossil-guzzler. ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah I'm on my 2 nd one( made the mistake of trading in my 2010 one,came back to an insight after 7 months)
Like the new Honda fit hybrids also,2014

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm on my 2 nd one( made the mistake of trading in my 2010 one,came back to an insight after 7 months)
Like the new Honda fit hybrids also,2014
I've gone from petrol-only to a hybrid to wanting an EV in 3 months. But it was the Insight that totally changed the way I drive and also the way I think about energy, transport and otherwise. Which is really something. The bottom line is, we have to stop burning stuff.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've gone from petrol-only to a hybrid to wanting an EV in 3 months. But it was the Insight that totally changed the way I drive and also the way I think about energy, transport and otherwise. Which is really something. The bottom line is, we have to stop burning stuff.
Yes,but TBH it was economics that drove me to hybrids,green came second,now I'm changed

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes,but TBH it was economics that drove me to hybrids,green came second,now I'm changed
EVs will be more economical than petrol/diesel and hybrids when they achieve price parity. Which will tip the balance. I don't mind how we get there or what people's reasons are, as long as we get there. :)

One advantage of hybrids is, they teach you how to drive economically, a skill which you can then apply to any car. A heavy-footed petrol driver will likely be a heavy-footed EV driver. Little wonder people can never achieve manufacturer's consumption figures, whether petrol or EV...

·
Registered
420 Posts
EVs will be more economical than petrol/diesel and hybrids when they achieve price parity. Which will tip the balance. I don't mind how we get there or what people's reasons are, as long as we get there. :)

One advantage of hybrids is, they teach you how to drive economically, which you can do in any car. A heavy-footed petrol driver will likely be a heavy-footed EV driver. Little wonder people can never achieve manufacturer's consumption figures, whether petrol or EV...
Good points,I had to learn to drive properly once I got the first hybrid to achieve good MPG, successful ( mostly 🤗)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good points,I had to learn to drive properly once I got the first hybrid to achieve good MPG, successful ( mostly 🤗)
Before the Insight I spent decades driving badly while thinking I was a good driver. Insight is the teacher, but teaches much more than good driving. Quite a trick for a budget car.

I'm not sure that EVs will have that same effect on people. It'll be more of the same - you can buy a small efficient EV, or a huge SUV EV that is too fast and uses too much energy.

Plus ça change...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Before the Insight I spent decades driving badly while thinking I was a good driver. Insight is the teacher, but teaches much more than good driving. Quite a trick for a budget car.

I'm not sure that EVs will have that same effect on people. It'll be more of the same - you can buy a small efficient EV, or a huge SUV EV that is too fast and uses too much energy.

Plus ça change...
You're right boy,ad the driving experience of the ev is much and much as driving a normal car,so driving habits won't change,I found even driving an ordinary car for a few months my style of driving ( frugal) didn't change,ad a kid I was a lunatic for speed,bikes/ cars

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right boy,ad the driving experience of the ev is much and much as driving a normal car,so driving habits won't change,I found even driving an ordinary car for a few months my style of driving ( frugal) didn't change,ad a kid I was a lunatic for speed,bikes/ cars
Time will tell. Maybe having to charge their cars will make people think about where their energy comes from.

Meanwhile... I seem to have gone WAY off topic. I'm going to leave it there and maybe start a thread on this subject another time.

Go easy, stay well. 🙂

·
Registered
420 Posts
Time will tell. Maybe having to charge their cars will make people think about where their energy comes from.

Meanwhile... I seem to have gone WAY off topic. I'm going to leave it there and maybe start a thread on this subject another time.

Go easy, stay well. 🙂
Same,take care

1 - 14 of 14 Posts