Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts on amplifiers and associated concerns with location and power current drain. I am searching for a small amp and have located one that looks interesting, and solicit your opinion.

I have installed a Kenwood Excelon head unit and a set of Polk db6501 component speakers in the door, and they sound good, but need some juice, and bass. Not looking for a "jammin" system, simply a well rounded one for Jazz, pop, lite rock.

The amp is a Sony Xplod XM-4S, which could be bridged into tri-mode to produce 95X2 + 205X1 for door speakers and a small sub. The current drain at rated output is 25A. The size is small, making it easy to conceal.
Here is the link to the site, check out the specs:

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/amplifiers/XM-4S

What re your thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting that they installed the worlds first over-unity device into a car amp.

Depending if you use the spec page claiming 95Wx2 + 250Wx1 at 25A input, or the front page listing 95Wx2 + 205Wx1 at 25A, you are still over unity, as 25A at 12v gives you a possible 300W output if the device was 100%.

For a serious answer, all class AB switching amps made in the last 20 years are all in a range of about 10-15% from best to worst in efficiency, with the highest quality stuff being made around 10-15 years ago.

Car audio spec sheets are all BS for all mass production manufactures.

Listen to the equipment function. If you are satisfied, go for it.
I believe you will find this to be a much better way to make audio related purchases than anything related to paper with numbers, which your ears could care less about.

Any choice of amp will only draw idle powersupply current (~1amp) + what ever sound power levels your ears/mind are requesting.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

1 - 2 of 2 Posts