Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :cry: :x :shock: :roll: #@&$ !!!!!

Yesterday afternoon, in ±35 mph stop-and-go traffic, our IMA light illuminated, followed five minutes later by a Check Engine Light. The SOC dropped to no bars (!) within a quarter mile, all charging activity ceased per the gauge, Auto Stop failed to engage, and the car had only a fraction of its normal power. I drove the car home without further incident (less than two or three miles) and plugged in my ScanGageII (which normally would have been plugged in and I would have been monitoring the thing when the event occurred, but hey, ol' Murphy was an optimist, wasn't he), showing the following two Trouble Codes stored:

P1447 Battery Module Deterioration
P1449 Battery Module Overheating

For you ScanGagers, the Freeze setting showed Water Temp 198°, 1214 RPM, 29mph, IATemp. 98°, MAP psi 3.8, LOD 25, TPS 9... :?

I'm taking it in this weekend for my dealer to play with it, will report as details emerge.

Stats: CVT, 56.6 LMPG, just shy of 40K miles, last year our dealer performed both the Motor Control Module and the Battery Condition Monitor service per the American Honda recall letter with which we're all familiar. :eek:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delta Flyer: That's where it's at!

Insightful Trekker: My conniption fit (a Texism!) was more directed at my inconvenience than at the prospect of a new battery... I was just surprised that it came when it did (aged 5-1/2 years? 40,000 miles?). It's always been garaged (both nights and covered parking days) so Texas heat shouldn't have been an issue, and the car has never been abused (read: "adult driven"). Oh well, I'm driving a rental (During walkaround to check for damage: "Do you see anything wrong with the car?" "Yes, it's an appliance-white Dodge") :lol: for a couple of days until the new battery comes in, according to DC at Lute Riley... :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
boogetyboogety said:
Insightful Trekker: My conniption fit (a Texism!) was more directed at my inconvenience than at the prospect of a new battery...
I knew they did everything BIG in Texas, but a "conniption because of the inconvienence..." :?: :roll: :p

And I've never known a Texan to miss a $2000+ "YeeHaw" either. :p
("YeeHaw" Texan :arrow: English "Very happy; Exuberantly so")

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew they did everything BIG in Texas, but a "conniption because of the inconvienence..."
Yes! I'm quite the Drama King! :lol:

And I've never known a Texan to miss a $2000+ "YeeHaw" either.
$2000! Hah! Everything IS bigger in Texas, apparently:

OK, so here we go, here's what they did (stay tuned for the big surprise):

CK EMA [sic] LIGHT AND CK ENGINE LIGHT ON
CAUSE: DEFECT.IMA BATTERY AND CONTROL UNIT
123505 CODES/OPERATING DATA - RETRIEVE/CLEAR CODES W/PGM TESTER OR HONDA DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (HDS). ACCESS FLASH CODES 4214 W (N/C)

1 1K100-PHM-A01 768745 CONTROL UNIT [Which they changed a few months ago and which I always felt made the Insight perform differently, in a degraded performance sort of way] (N/C)

1 1D010-PHM-A00RM 839009 BATTERY CONTROL MODULE (N/C)

118014 IMA BATTERY ASSEMBLY - REPLACE S/B#00-070 4214 W
118116 IMA BATTERY ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT - REPLACE. 4214 W (N/C)

FC: 03214
PART#. 1D010-PHM-A00RM
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: W

HONDA CARE CAR RENTAL, CHARGE TO HONDA CARE @ $35 PER DAY
CAUSE: RENTAL (N/C)

They gave me the above receipt marked N/C, but I was able to catch a brief glimpse of their paperwork showing the charge to American Honda for the work performed (and they would not give me a copy of the receipt for my records, saying it was an "internal matter"... oooooooo... :shock: )

$5,800+

:D :) :eek: :shock:

Somebody's making a killing somewhere along the way... reminds me of a health care claim for a hospital stay ("yes sir, your child's broken arm will be $5,000") :oops:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
boogetyboogety said:
Well that's about in line for all that have had the same done thus far.

IIRC bogturtlewoman was the first member to post such here. And she's legit. I read about her bog turtle "adventures" in the area newspaper last year.

But let's hope the your local dealership hasn't made a Texas sized $3,000 oops. :p If I'm reading the SB correctly (the "sticky" post in the General Discussion forum) once the 2 control computers are replaced (selected states only) then all that would be done in addition is the IMA battery module under this goodwill extended warranty.

And yes the control logic in the newer MCM & BCM is more IMA battery friendly. Just remember hyper MPG is achieved with little or no IMA assist. So "milder" control logic will have no impact on attainable MPG.

One thing we've "established", since you missed your "YeeHaw" you must not be a native Texan :!: ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, but I got here as quick as I could... :badgrin:

I'm still slightly convinced whatever they did when they changed the MCM and the BCM, they did something to foul the installation and/or reprogramming... leading to the failure only a few months later. As I mentioned, a battery only five plus years of age, with no heat issues, no abuse, and no dramatic charge/discharge cycles (as would happen in mountainous country) shouldn't fail in only 40,000 miles of driving... should it? Or, why else would they have to replace the same components again just a few months later? :roll:

Oh, and they changed the oil, overfilled it, and dropped all four of my tires to 32 pounds, in spite of my written request to leave the extra oil in the plastic Tupperware container on the front seat (although, in all fairness, I forgot to tell them not to muck with my tires this time)... :evil:

But I finally have my Insight back! Yeeee-hah! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts