Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning all,

I have a question regarding handbrake adjustment. I was performing my most recent (and first) oil change on my (new to me) 2010 Insight LX. When resetting the maintenance minder I was directed to perform the B1 maintenance sequence. This includes adjusting the handbrake in accordance with the following statement: (paraphrased)

Ensure the handbrake raises 6-8 clicks when applying exactly 44lbf of force.

What tool is anyone using to measure this? Does Honda manufacture the tool? My local dealer was oblivious (Williamsburg Honda) :( What point on the handbrake arm is used to take the measurement? (Will look this up again in the FSM to be sure)

Thank you all for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

2010 Honda Insight LX
1991 Nissan 300ZXTT
1987 Volvo 245DL
1972 MGB SR20DET

·
Registered
18 Posts
My immediate thought was just an old spring balance type scale. Hook the end at the top of the brake lever and pull the spring back till you hit 44 lbs - presumably counting the clicks as you do so.

I have no idea though if that would actually work. :-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Sorry for the delay and thank you for the response.

I purchased an NK-300 Analog Force Gauge / Dyno to perform this test. The gauge functioned well reading 179 Newtons of force at 8 clicks, indicating wear requiring adjustment. I am surprised that the auto adjusters do not compensate for this, though this is the first time I am checking the adjustment since purchasing the vehicle in March.

NOTE: I am a little frustrated with the dealership, Honda of Williamsburg VA and when I spoke with their senior technician he had no idea what I was talking about. So this leads me to believe that it was never adjusted correctly to begin with at the dealer and I will have to check them again to see if the self adjusters are working properly.

The procedure in the FSM worked perfectly, and when complete I re verified the required force at 8 clicks was at 199 Newtons, just 1 newton above specification which proved to be satisfactory considering the spec is 198 at 6 to 8 clicks, so perfect. I hope this is helpful for others.

Very Respectfully,
Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
redsim74
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing