Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only enviously look over to the GEN1 forums and what they tinkered there. There are some mods that I would like to have in my GEN2, but I lack time and engineering capacities to develop it myself.

Anyone done a conversion to employ the Auto-Off for longer than the prescribed 30 seconds? The 12V battery should be able to feed the car for longer than the measly 30 seconds. Since I spend a long time queueing waiting for congested intersections to pass, I can see the fuel consumption rise while waiting. The first cycle, the Auto-Stop engages, but then - crawling up to the intersection - the engine restarts way before I move and since I never exceed 12 km/h the Auto-Stop never resets and the engine continues to run. That's mad.

Also, one should be able to engage/disengage the IMA assist/charge. There are stretches where I KNOW the IMA is useless and it will only give me an empty battery which I then need to have recharged on petrol and just when it's full, I get a long downhill stretch where I could have used gravity...

Unfortunately, Honda decided to discontinue lean burn for the GEN2....

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I know retepsnikrep has been tinkering with some gen2 Civic MCM/BCM/ECM stuff and thought it might be applicable or helpful for gen2 Insights.

I think he put our a call for cars to tinker with or a junkyard computer set from England-proximate owners but no one stepped up. Maybe that can be you :).

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Once I have moved house and got setup, then yes some of my HCH2 research may well be applicable to a Gen2. Watch this space and keep your eye on the hch2 stuff.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
Have you got all the software updates from Honda for the car? There's a recall update they have to perform for free, and usually they do the other two software updates for free as well. My car has been running great since getting those.

Also, Auto-Stop lasts way longer (+5 minutes) if you know you're going to come to a stop and you press the Off button for the climate control before you get down to about 24 mph.

It is also possible to wire this car with a full-regen brake switch like you can do with the G1 Insight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been at the local Honda dealer for CVT fluid change and checking for updates. They said everything is ok. No, I do not have the A/C on and no, I only have the fan on lowest and not on any defrost/demist setting - just straight through.
Still, the car switches off nicely, but only for about 30'ish seconds. It could, without lights, fan, radio - stay on Auto Off for hours.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have an off-button. 2010 Gen2. Eco is on, green plant in dash is lit.
A/C is explicitly off. No need for it here in Ireland. Only in very wet winter days, when the car just fogs up. Summers are rarely hot enough to warrant A/C use.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Affirm. Hit the climate OFF button (under the round Auto button) well before coming to a stop, like when still going 15 mph or faster.
AutoStop will come on and last for minutes on end, even if you activate the fan again once AutoStop is lighting up.
It apparently determines how long AutoStop should last when invoking it and won't deviate no matter what you do with the controls after that.

During AutoStop the hybrid battery and DC-DC converter keep feeding the 12V system. So it does not run down your 12V battery at all.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ah yeah, but if you don't run the fan the humidity in the car may rise.
I run the fan without A/C and switch it OFF just before coming to a stop, then immediately on again (it defaults to A/C on, so it takes a few clicks to set everything right); then it lasts for minutes unless when it gets really cold or wet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don’t know what Honda dealer service is like in Ireland, but here in the US it has been necessary for folks to be pretty insistent about getting the software updates. The only way for them to actually know if the software is up to date is to connect the vehicle, in the service area, to a computer connected directly to Honda. The service writer looking up your VIN is not good enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No clue what they did as workshop areas are strictly off-limits here. They claim it's because of insurance yadayadayada. So you drop off your keys and they take the car and then they return the keys and you may search for your car in the dealer car park.
I might ask our second, smaller dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No change. Switches off nicely, but only for 30'ish seconds. Then restarts and because of the crawl, it won't switch off again. I need an IMA switch that makes it switch off until I release the brake...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How long does it stay off if you don’t let off the brake & crawl? This Insight just does not operate on battery only. It’s there for assist only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
30'ish seconds. Even if I keep my foot planted on the brake.
Hi ,
your insight must have some problem.
if I switch off all the climate system pushing the off button
(not only AC off but all the system off) the ''Auto stop'' in my car
last also for 15 minutes.
possible causes for this problem are:
1)12volt battery with too low voltage
2) humidity too high inside the car (or humidity sensor broken)
3)fan flow directed on the windscreen

Sorry for my English

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ireland is not exactly Arizona. But I still think the software has not been updated. What model year is this Insight?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts