IMAC&C aka IMA Control & BCM Gauge Combo - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default IMAC&C aka IMA Control & BCM Gauge Combo

As you all know I've been tinkering with IMA control over the years and the BCM gauge was a product I sold a few years ago. Well it all seems to be working pretty well as a combo over the last few few years. I've sold about a dozen to eu owners who have been very satisfied with it.
Now with Mike's agreement (18/6/2013) I have decided to release the device for worldwide sale.

There will not be an assembled pcb option at this time. It took me about an hour to build one so it's not very difficult. You need a fine tip soldering iron and good eyesight though as the parts are quite small. The code is provided in hex form and requires use of the simple pic programmer as used in my other projects. The source code is also available in this thread.

The IMA control integrates with the throttle, brake, clutch signals, for input at present. It also interrogates the BCM data and uses the 5 way joybutton for user control/operation. The pcb also has inputs for the vss and map sensors but these are not used by the present code.

My present code has the core gauge functions, ima battery volts, temp, soc, amps and control over the IMA assist/regen. It has a sport/rally mode where when throttle depressed more than 90% gives full assist.

It has the 5 way joybutton cruise type modes.

Assist/Regen are controlled by the 5 way button.

It gives 40 levels/units of adjustment for assist or regen with my system.

Up = Inc Assist or Dec regen by one unit
Down = Dec Assist or Inc regen by one unit
Left = Dec Assist or Inc regen by ten units
Right = Inc Assist or Dec regen by ten units

Centre = cancel and menu mode if held down.

All the levels are held until cancelled so you don't have to have you hand on the joybutton once you have activated it.
Pressing the centre button, Brake, Clutch or engaging sport cancels previous settings.

So for instance when driving on the flat at 40mph one click right (10 units) gives me about 12A of assist which is held until i cancel it. If I then put my foot down sport mode engages, and you get whatever current the system can deliver at that rpm/soc/temp etc. When you ease your foot back off the throttle system reverts to standby/oem mode or your previous setting.

Price $105 inc p&p for bare pcb and software license payment via paypal to 150mpg@gmail.com

Questions/support etc will only be answered/given via the forum so do not pm/e-mail me with general questions as they will be deleted.
A signed disclaimer will be reqd before your order will be accepted/processed. (Details to follow)

Here are some early videos giving a general idea.

IMA Control Board with BCM Gauge V2.00 - YouTube
IMA Command & Control Video 1 - YouTube
IMA Command & Control Video 2 - YouTube
IMA Cruise Mode on the road! - YouTube
IMAC&C 5 Way Joy Switch Assembly - YouTube
IMA Command & Control Video 3 - YouTube
IMA Command & Control Video 4 - YouTube
Insight G1 A123 20ah Pack 13 Mile Commute - YouTube

Note some features in these old videos are no longer in the current code!!
Note the steering wheel mounted button has been discussed in it's own thread and is not an easy option.

Steering Wheel Mounted MIMA Controls

Parts list spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...vQ1VIWlE#gid=0

Installation Notes.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ationnotes.pdf

The schematic is now attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMA.jpg (19.8 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg IMAC&C_G1_19062013.jpg (86.9 KB, 473 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMACANDC_140911_V406_166ms.zip (6.7 KB, 247 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 07-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Count me in, PM about to be sent.
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Question Stacked IMA motor control

In a message on another thread you mentioned the possibility of controlling a stacked pair of IMA motors with one Insight controller. Can any of this Combo system be applied to EV control of an IMA motor stack? It appears that there may be considerable overlap.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-Falls View Post
In a message on another thread you mentioned the possibility of controlling a stacked pair of IMA motors with one Insight controller. Can any of this Combo system be applied to EV control of an IMA motor stack? It appears that there may be considerable overlap.
That's the plan Hugh and one of the reasons i started on this project. That's also the reason I generate my own pwm in house so as not to need an ECM.

My EV plan is My IMA Control -> One MCM -> Four Paralleled MDM each driving a motor. I'll only use one set of position encoders as all stators and rotor will be locked together. The comms is/looks pretty simple between MCM & MDM. Im may try just two MDM driving four motors as an experiment as well.

EDIT

Couple more pics showing close up of assembled board and connected board in situ.

At the moment I have 9 wires running forward to the dash/footwell area.

Lcd x3
5 way switch x3
Throttle x1
Brake x1
Clutch x1

I could have shared +5v and Gnd for the switch and lcd but i didn't want them interfereing with each other. You can try this if you want. Reduces wires reqd by 2.

However installing 12 wires now gives us three spare for later use with

Map x 1
Vss x 1 (Cruise control)
Spare x 1

If you want to install or prep your car for this I suggest run a 12 wire coloured ribbon or multicore screened cable from front to back. leave at least 1.5m spare at front and 0.5m in back for connections. Wires need to emerge near MCM connectors in rear IPU and near ECM (passenger footwell for UK cars) or the brake / clutch pedals in front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMABoardCloseup.jpg (86.8 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMABoard 022.jpg (97.1 KB, 300 views)

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 04-28-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default EV Stacked IMA Motor Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
That's the plan Hugh and one of the reasons i started on this project. That's also the reason I generate my own pwm in house so as not to need an ECM.

My EV plan is My IMA Control -> One MCM -> Four Paralleled MDM each driving a motor. I'll only use one set of position encoders as all stators and rotor will be locked together. The comms is/looks pretty simple between MCM & MDM. Im may try just two MDM driving four motors as an experiment as well.
My understanding of your plan: The four MDM share input from your one IMA Controller and one MCM. The four stators and four rotors and one set of position encoders are a synchronized assembly. Each stator/rotor section will have a separate power cord connected to its own MDM output, however, you may try running a pair of two stator/rotor sections connected in parallel, each two stator/rotor section powered from its own MDM as an experiment.

My current Quad-Stack design provides for all four sections to be connected internally in parallel with ONE external power connection which I had planned on running from a standard industrial controller. However, the layout of the existing Insight IMA case will allow separate power inputs to be added with no other changes to the existing design. Adding the individual external power connections will provide some additional flexibility.

Most of the parts for my Quad-Stack motor are in hand and a fixture is being designed to enable safe assembly of the four motor sections.

If you and Mike can agree that my use of your IMA Controller for this EV use is not a violation of your agreement, I would like to purchase one of your Combo kits to try out your drive idea instead of the commercial controller.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Hugh

Your request is fine in this context and i'm happy to assist you where I can. I would appreciate info from your own system inc drawings and specs etc. How are you assembling the four motors and how you connect them to gearbox etc etc etc. I might copy your ideas/design I suggest start a new thread if you havent already and post some info on your setup. I may have overlooked or forgotten it.

Be aware of course that i haven't tried driving/using an MCM without an ECM connected yet, but ASFAIK there is only one more line from the ecm we may need to fake that is engine torque. we have looked at it but it never seemed to change/do anything

I haven't tried paralleling MDM's either so that might be interesting but the signals are logic level between them and MCM so should be OK. We won't need all the connections but that is for another thread.

PM me your details and i'll send a board. i have not got all the parts for kits together yet so may be a few weeks before i can send it. Unless you just want the pcb and can source the simple parts yourself.

Peter

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 04-28-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jonnyvtec

Excellent news Peter. Thank you.

I'm definatley in.

In terms of the connection to the MCM and BCM in the IPU is it a case of splicing into the correct wires? (no scotchlocks)

16x2 the only option or is there the chance of a 20x2 at production Version 1?

Im thinking of mounting the gauge in the top of the speed surround so its above the speedo readout in terms of line of sight and Id like a wheel mounted controller. Does the 5 way require a CVT reel for mounting to the steering wheel?

Will sport boost also ignore the stock ~7 second current limiter?

Thanks
Jon
jonnyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Peter, - Is or will there be a FAS function in your system. ?

2000 Red Insight MT. #032
IMAC&C & OBDIIC&C.
faxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyvtec View Post
In terms of the connection to the MCM and BCM in the IPU is it a case of splicing into the correct wires? (no scotchlocks)
You can connect how you like I spliced into the wires. (stripped the insulation back and soldered to the bare part.)

Quote:
16x2 the only option or is there the chance of a 20x2 at production Version 1?
You can buy a 16x2, 20x2 or 20x4 serial lcd if you want I can adapt the software to support them all but possibly not all at the same time or straight away.

Quote:
Im thinking of mounting the gauge in the top of the speed surround so its above the speedo readout in terms of line of sight and Id like a wheel mounted controller. Does the 5 way require a CVT reel for mounting to the steering wheel?
The manual cars have the necessary wires in the cable reel but no connectors, it should be possible however to use them with a bit of fiddling. I cheated and bought a couple of CVT cable reels from the US as they had the connectors fitted.

Quote:
Will sport boost also ignore the stock ~7 second current limiter?
If you had a BCM gauge you would see that seven sconds was very optimistic it actually cuts back after about 3-4 seconds on stock system. With the IMA control you get max power for as long as batteries can supply it. The BCM itself is still in control of temp/soc safety so it will restrict you if you abuse it and heat up the batteries!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxe
Peter, - Is or will there be a FAS function in your system. ?
I have never investigated this or considered a need for it here in UK so it doesn't have it built in. I have no plans to implement it. But as we are discovering more about the IMA control like the start cycle etc It is/would be possible to command the regen to stall the car on request and then start it with another push of the button or clutch. That can be for later version of the software. As you already have MIMA with FAS and a BCM gauge fitted I would stick with that unless you are buying another car?

If you closely at the pics i posted below you will see three components are not fitted to the pcb at this time.
Resistors R3 and R4 are only reqd if you want to use the two click button or two resistive pressure sensor systems i experimented with a while back. C9 depends on what we connect to the spare input later

If you want to keep up with software development once you get a system you will need the programmer here or equivalent and the software at the bottom of the webpage. I suggest order one now they take a while to arrive http://www.piccircuit.com/product.php?id_product=25

I'm hoping to get a few kits made up in time for the UK owners day, PM me if you want one. It only contains the switch and pcb components no interconnecting wire etc. Depending on the weather one lucky member may have it installed on the day if they do the prep work

Edit

Video Demo
Click back later if does not work straight away.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 04-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Peter, seems you may eventually convince me to pack my bags, load my Insight on a boat, and cross the pond to live over there. I'll also be watching for updates on the stacked IMA motor progress too, it is actually holding me back from my current plans, if yours work out better I may want to do what you are doing but at this point I'm still looking at the easier route of bolting on components already together but the idea of keeping the Insight with all stock drive components would be really cool. I love the sound of the Insight electric motor. Does the sound the motor makes under acceleration and regen seem noticably louder with the increased power you are pushing through the motor with your other mod for higher power with the 20Ah lithium pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question