EGR valve trick, new Iridium spark plugs, new brakes and maintenance. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EGR valve trick, new Iridium spark plugs, new brakes and maintenance.

Well, yesterday I spent about 8 hours working on the Insight and I took a few pics along the way. Just thought I would share some of them.

First is the dreaded EGR plate and EGR valve modification.
Here it is all set up and ready to go. After some reading, I decided to off shoot the center of the hole to get a better blast of the cleaner.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the place where I drilled the hole and sprayed the solution in. On a side note, BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS!!! IT IS VERY EASY TO PUNCH THRU LIKE I DID!!!! I thought I broke my EGR valve, but after a 20 minute test drive, no problems and the herky jerk is gone!
[IMG][/IMG]

As for my EGR plate, after having nearly 80,000 miles on it since new from the factory, it was not as bad as some of the photos i have seen on here. here is a cleaned version.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you see the HondaBond in the picture was because of this, I reused the original OEM EGR gasket since it looked very good and I just smeared some Honda Bond on it. I stand by this stuff!! I've used it on all my motors and it is great!
[IMG][/IMG]

2004 Honda Civic Type-R!!! Yay England!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blue-Civic-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Talking Now for the sparkplugs!!

I've read plenty of the threads about the indexing of the plugs and I just wanted to try something a little different. I used the Denso Iridium IKH20 plugs and I marked my plugs prior to their removal with red paint. All my plugs were the B- indexed plugs.

[IMG][/IMG]

Each one of these plugs I marked the best I could with my paint pen. The mark was facing towards the firewall so I could see which way the open end of the plug faced towards the engine. They all faced in the general same direction. My mark on the plug is the 12 noon position, the open end of the plug faced the 1600 (4pm to you civilians out there) mark on the clock. All were exactly the same.

Plug 1
[IMG][/IMG]

Plug 2
[IMG][/IMG]

Plug 3
[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Talking More spark plug pics!

Here are some new versus old sparkplug pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

And here is a close up pics of the electrodes themselves. My car had nearly 80k this weekend and the plugs had never been changed in this 11 year old car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Don't forget your anti-seize!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Talking New brakes and bleeding them...

Here are the new Autozone rotors and pads that I installed. Not bad for only $70 in total for parts and brake fluid. After I bedded in the pads, the brakes are 100% better than the tired OEM rotors and pads which still had a little life left in them, but I didn't want to take any chances.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Plus you can see how dirty the brake fluid was, bleeding the brakes by yourself sucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also bled the clutch and changed the oil and filter also. I don't think I will do my valves till I hit 100k.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Hmmmmm.

I would be concerned about the different electrode reach. Are those cooler plugs than stock? The heat range looks perfect on the plugs that came out. Hopefully you don't have carbon fouling problems.

Or other problems. I'll be interested to see how this works out. It looks like the electrode on the stock plugs is a good 2-3mm longer than your replacements?

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Denso IR vs OEM IR

I noticed that too but I am not too concerned. Oscar Jackson did a similar experiment on the Honda Fit with Denso IR spark plugs. The OEM iridium plugs are longer but the Denso performed better and actually increased HP and fuel efficiency on a completely stock Fit L15 motor.

As far as my test drive went, it "seemed" to be (placebo effect probably) stronger and my fuel efficiency did not seem to change at all, but got a little better. I have a 400 mile trip coming up soon so I did all this maintenance to see if it actually changes anything.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Sounds good!

I wish I had access to a dyno. It's so hard to quantify such small changes without being able to measure precisely. A slight environmental change could completely muddy any dis/advantages the plugs provide.

Did you index them, or just stick them in?

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I did not index the plugs, I just stuck them in with wreckless abandon!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just an update so far on the new plugs. Drove about 60 miles yesterday, mostly freeway and averaged 56 MPG while driving around 68 to 73 MPH. It seems to have a noticeable pick up on the freeway, seems much smoother.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

With the difference in the electrode reach (center section), all you are doing is putting the initial "explosion" in a different location in the combustion chamber. The center "ceramic" size will determine heat range. Most plugs today are gapped at 47-52 thousands, mainly because of the better ignition sytems installed.
My opinion.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 395,000 mi. @ 58.0 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question