Honda Insight Forum banner

Turbocharged Insight

260K views 724 replies 122 participants last post by  Willie Williford 
#1 ·
The final test between the "turbocharged little red rocket" and two other insights has been completed. "E" mail me for a copy of the test sheet. Hope to have it posted on the site soon........Willie

#4 ·
Already talked to bejamine about that (too lengthy). Can be seen on Yahoo site (thanks Dick) under message 11469..........Willie*

#5 ·
As one to have the pleasure of a afternoon run with Will and Dick I must say it was a blast. Pics?? dahmmm had digital camera and forgot geezzzz oldstimers syndrom was running rampant that day, but we had fun.
I must say the turbo really helped on long grade and top speed runs. I had to keep poor MIZR to the floor to catch him on long run across desert and cross winds made me lift throttle.
Maybe another run could be set up as it was interesting to see the differences in mileage between the 3 cars during the "test" run. With a few more Insights to make it interesting.
I wish to comend Will on his research and time put into designing and putting together his turbo set up, it is a slick and neat job.

#7 ·
Willie Williford said:
Already talked to bejamine about that (too lengthy). Can be seen on Yahoo site (thanks Dick) under message 11469..........Willie*
Actually, we'd be happy to have you post it here... But, as we discussed, it would have to be within a message, not as a MS Works file (as you had suggested). :)

I'm moving this thread to the Modifications forum, where it would be more appropriate.
Benjamin

#8 ·
The full report... Posting on Willie's behalf:

--------------------------------------------

PERFORMANCE TESTING;

Vehicle Data:
2001 Honda Insight, 5 Speed, 69,000 mi. and a IHI-RHB-32 Turbocharger Installed.

Note:
All testing were done using the Gtech Pro Competition Meter.
No “burnouts” or “speed shifting” were done to obtain a valid readout from the meter.
Three runs were conducted then “averaged”, plus (ONE run at 0-100)
Turbo and IMA at full use.

0 to 60 in 9.023 sec.
¼ mile in 17.103 sec. @ 87.674 mph.
(0-100 in 21.206 sec.)

The following tests were done to simulate passing.
Timing was done with a digital stop watch.

Testing was done under the following circumstances:

Test done on same section of roadway and same direction. (West to East)
Acceleration was started at app. 2,000 rpm (Max. HP of IMA assist)

Time………………………2 PM -3:30 PM
Driver Weight…………….175 Pounds
(No Passenger)
Elevation………………….2,460 FT.
Air Temperature………….72 Degrees(+/-3)
Wind Speed……………….None
Wind Direction……………DNA
Humidity………………….Not Measured (Minimal)

All tests were done 3 times then “averaged”.
Gear used min MPH max. MPH Time
3rd 35 80 14.51 sec.
4th 45 80 15.74 sec.
5th 55 80 17.48 sec.

Remarks:
No performance figures for a standard Insight were available for Comparison.
Maximum HP read on all tests was 97.9 @ 5500 RPM (Shift Point)
Torque reading was not obtainable due to glitch in meter. (Kept showing RPM @753)

(Please address all questions about this report to Willie.)

#9 ·
Almost 98 HP, WOW!! That is a huge increase! If I did my math correctly that's a 44% increase over stock!! At that rate a new Viper would go from 505 to 727.2 HP and still only get 12 MPG!!!!

#10 ·
Willie,

That is awesome! You had sent me some pics during your install of the turbo, and I'm glad to see that you're now to the point of having the turbo installed and are gathering some data. Congrats, and I hope that your experiment continue to go well! When you get the chance, please update the data with figures such as fuel mileage consequences, top speed (if you're able to find somewhere to test for that), etc.

#12 ·
After getting a first hand up and close look at the Will's turbo install and the related fabrication of necessary parts to complete the install I feel it isn't a task for the un-mechanicaly inclined to attempt. I was impressed with Will's note book of realted drawings and pictures of turbo install. It definatly wasn't a easy "one day" install. But I will say it is a definate improvement in performance with a minimal fuel mileage loss.
Will could you post the run results here in a message context I think others would be interested in the figures between your turbo and "stock" Insights on a even comparison run test.

#13 ·
With permission from Willie here is the comparison test between the turbo and the "stock" Insights. This was a fun way to do a comparison run.

Comparison Run and Evaluation on 5/03/03.
SAN DIEGO, CA. AREA INSIGHTERS
(THE THREE MUSKATEERS)
MILES PER GALLON/MILES DRIVEN
Vehicle # 1 / # 2 / # 3
LEG #1 65.8 / 55.5 / 60.1 / 37.3
LEG #2 82.0 / 84.8 / 72.2 / 54.0
LEG #3 50.2 / 45.8 / 41.3 / 42.0
LEG #4 34.0 / 32.4 / 33.1 / 31.3
Facts on Test:
Air Temperature:
Varied from a low of app. 58 Degrees (F) to app. 75 Degrees. (F)

Elevation:
Started at 2,500 ft., went to 4,200 ft., then to Sea Level, finally back to 4,200 ft.

Roadway:
Combination of State highways, Interstate freeway, County roads, and City streets.

Weather:
Cold and Rainy, to High Tail Winds (15 to 20 mph), to Sunny and Warm, to Sunny and (15 to 20 mph) Head Winds, to Cold and Rainy.

Cruising Speeds:
45 to 80 mph.

Traffic:
Light, app. 90% of time.

Additional:
#1 vehicle was the lead vehicle at all times.
Vehicles maintained a safe distance between them. (No drafting)
A grade of 7% for app. 9 miles with a head wind was encountered. During the ascent, 70-75 mph was maintained by Vehicles #2, and #3.…….. Vehicle #1 maintained 80-85 mph.

MPG average during the above ascent:
Vehicle #1-26.2, #2- 21.5, #3-25.3. .

Total Miles of test and mpg averaged during the test session (per the FCD reading) 164.86 (avg.) @ #1-55.2, #2-51.7, #3-48.8

Vehicles In Test:
#1 2001 5S, 69,000 miles, 59.6 LMPG, Std. Front tires at 50 PSI, wider rear tires. Turbocharged with Speed Stripes, custom gauges, dead pedal, and shifter.

#2 2000 5S, 65,621 miles, 53.3 LMPG, Std. Tires at 45-48 PSI
Custom Tinting and Custom Stereo System.

#3 2000 5S, 51,700 miles, 54.0 LMPG, Std. Tires at 50 PSI, Wet Oakly Seat Covers , Special Polymer/wax exterior coating.

NOTE:
All drivers were of the same app. weight. (175 -190 lb.)
Vehicle #2 carried app. 200 more pounds in weight (Custom Sound System.)

From a discussion and comparison, all of the drivers used the same type of Driving Style

#14 ·
The turbocharged Insight, "THE LITLE RED ROCKET" will be leaving San Diego, Calif. enroute to the East Coast on 05/24/03 at app. 0600 hours. Primary route will be Interstate 8, 10, and 20 to Augusta, Ga. Aiken SC, and then to Venice Fla. Round trip will be about 6,000 miles. So far no malfunctions after app. 4,000 miles of testing and evaluation after the modifications were done. Life time MPG has dropped .2 during that time, but I have been using the "turbo" a lot. If anybody sees me, flag me down for a BS session. Will keep a trip log to see the difference in mileage, performance, etc...............Willie*

#15 ·
Willie, too bad you're not heading up Maryland way, I'd have to ask you to stop in so I could check out the mods you've done and see "The Little Red Rocket" for myself. In any case, have a good trip!

#19 ·
Aaron, IT IS NOT A THING, it is a work of Love and compassion....Willie*

#21 ·
When I et back from the 6,000 mile trip, I'll see about geting the pictures posted.......Am leaving for Fla. NOW.................Willie :twisted:

#23 ·
The "Little Red Rocket" has landed in Venice, Fla. After 3,150 miles of visiting various states and relatives, the average MPG for the trip so far is 61.8. Mostly freeway or Interstate running with cruising speeds between 70 and 80. No malfunctions so far. Will be contacting two fellow Insighters in Orlando tomorrow for a visit. It is nice to be able to get 93 octane gas for a change...........Willie

#24 ·
Damn you willie, I'm going to South Florida tues-thurs (10-12th) to visit my mother on her birthday. Figures you'd contact me then :) I'll keep an eye on these boards and my email from there, but with limited access... hopefully we can meet up still.

#25 ·
WOW! Two thumbs up to Willie and his Little Red Rocket. That is one SWEET machine. Willie let me drive his baby and it feels as if it has the power of a strong V6 under the hood, without the extra weight. The power comes on smooth and strong up through the gears with no lag, and when you really put the pedal to the metal the car is very well balanced and handles like a dream. I ran it up to 80 something and it was straining at the reins to keep charging. Running 70 and want to pass? No problema! Its done before you can say "jack rabbit". And hey ya gota hear the exhaust. How sweet it is!!

The only problem I found was upon returning to our meeting place the thing stalled when I came to a stop in the parking lot. Whats Up That!! HaHa!!

He has done an extraordinary job of designing, locating rare parts, fabricating, installing and testing his turbo in "The Little Red Rocket" which is very aptly named. All mods were done without damaging any OEM parts. IE: the turbo and all plumbing can be removed and the car restored to a showroom stock condition. I'm a believer.

All those nay sayers should check it out before saying it can't be done.

BTW: According to the MPG read out (61.1 lifetime) it appears his gas mileage was affected very little if any. His Lifetime is approx. 5 MPG more than mine and I don't have a turbo

Thanks Again Willie,
Joe Gardner
"03 Red 5spd #0277

PS: Andy sorry you couldn't make it. Call lets get together with Willie this weekend before he leaves next Tuesday.

#26 ·
I would like Willie's car and a normal Insight to get tested on a dyno.
I want to see graphs!
I do believe in the Little Red Rocket, it's just that I want to see how the power and torque compares.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.