EGR Valve Internal Repair - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default EGR Valve Internal Repair

As I wrote in a previous tread “Do not use WD-40 to clean the EGR Valve” I still support this theory. Sorry if I repeat myself, however I would like to summarize my knowledge and experience. Hopefully someone will be able to benefit or at least understand how the EGR Valve performs. Couple of months back as a newbie I had the bad experience using WD- 40 as a solution to my jerkiness as we all experience at one point in our Insights. All I did read was buying a new one or cleaning/soaking the EGR valve in WD- 40 for over a night. I truly believe this is NOT the solution to our problem, instead it might worsen the hesitation of the car due to the oily stuff that WD- 40 contains. Once the WD-40 penetrates into the potentiometer /pot/ inside the valve /the top black plastic part/ that’s were the problem gets worsen. In the following FIVE steps I tried to explain how to clean or repair the EGR Valve.

First step Clean EGR Plate
Second step Soak EGR Valve
Third step Open Repair EGR Valve
Forth step Open Repair EGR Valve / cutting the wipe by 5mm/
Fifth step Drilling A Hole / update on the hole/

FIRST:

I do recommend you clean the EGR plate and then attempt to clean the EGR Valve or Repair it. The EGR Plate is know to trap a lot of the carbon from the bad gasoline. As I recall in my ‘86 and in my girls ‘88 Accord manuals, Honda do recommends 91 or higher octane that means premium gas. I drove mine for over 200K never had carburetor or engine problems. I think that the Insight’s ‘00 manual also do recommends 90 octane or higher. Higher octane therefore better and complete burn in the chamber and less gas/carbon to deposit in the emissions. To remove the EGR plate you need to unbolt five bolts 12mm. The upper 3 are easy to work on the lower two are the though once. Here are my pictures of mine EGR Plate full with carbon deposit.

Imageshack - 00001egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00002egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00003egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00004egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00005egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00006egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00007egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00008egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00009egrvalvehondainsig

After cleaning my EGR plate there was still hesitation and jerkiness occasionally.

SECOND:

You can try to clean by soaking the EGR Valve as many insightcentral.net readers and tread posters did, however I do not recommend using WD-40 again because of the oily stuff that the WD-40 contains. Before I continue I would like to thanks DEVIN1955 who did shipped and supply me with his used EGR Valve for this demonstration and experiment. Also thanks to RETEPSNIKREP check out his tread and study the pictures he has posted: He was my best inspiration to try to fix internally the EGR Valve.

EGR valve unveiled and some repair ideas.

You can see that the pot is getting contaminated with debris and instead being cleaned we add more oil with WD-40 and reduce the contact between the pot wiper/brush and the carbon path/track.

THIRD:

You can try open the EGR Valve and repair it as I did. Find a thin regular screw driver and work around the EGR Valve till the metal bracket comes out.

Imageshack - 00010egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00011egrvalvehondainsig

Once you start pulling the pot/black plastic part on the top be careful with the o-ring because it is very weak and it might break or fall a part as RETEPSNIKREP did.

Imageshack - 00012egrvalvehondainsig

Pull little harder and the valves wires will pop out and separate from the pot. Letter just solder some wire to the pot with the valve and you are good to go. Once the pot is in your hand you don’t have to drill any holes as RETEPSNIKREP suggested because the lower part of the pot is attached by epoxy.

Imageshack - 00013egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00014egrvalvehondainsig

Here is top view of what it looks like and you don’t have take a part any thing else.

Imageshack - 00015egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00016egrvalvehondainsig

Next eight photos are to show you the groves in the carbon path where the wipes were moving up and down.

Imageshack - 00017egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00018egrvalvehondainsiga
Imageshack - 00019egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00020egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00021egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00022egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00023egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00024egrvalvehondainsig

After examining the carbon path clean it with CRC can “QD Electronic Cleaner” that can be purchased at Wal-Mart for $4.67 + tax.

Imageshack - 00025egrvalvehondainsig

Next seven pictures are showing the wipe so you can see the dirt on it.

Imageshack - 00026egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00027egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00028egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00029egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00030egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00031egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00032egrvalvehondainsig

I though for a long time what to do and how to fix the EGR Valve cheaply.

FORTH:

To fix the EGR Valve I suggest: cut the wipe by 5mm to make it shorter so the wipe will have brand new unused tracks.

Imageshack - 00033egrvalvehondainsig

As you can see the marked grooves are only about 35% from the whole carbon path in the pot. The portion above the marks is nice and untouched. Once you’ve done the above you can reassemble the valve and you are good to put it back in the car. I would like to say after the repair DEVINS1955 95K miles used EGR Valve performs very good and smooth without any hesitation

FIFTH:

You can try to drill a hole on the top of the EGR Valve to improve cleaning by spaying solution in to the hole and exercise the valve up and down for better cleaning. Big thanks to MIKEMO he got around and figure out how to reach the pot without taking it a part by drilling a small hole on the top of the valve using 3/32 a drill bit. Now I suggest drilling the hole not in the center but a bit further from the center. In the outer center.

Imageshack - 00034egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00035egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00036egrvalvehondainsig
Imageshack - 00037egrvalvehondainsig

Good luck and keep us posted with your solutions, experience and experiments.

Credit: Insightcentral.com, RETEPSNIKREP, DEVIN1955, MIKEMO
insight1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Awesome post...love the pics. I also like your idea of repositioning the wiper.
Have you considered adding a 'padding' resistor inline to electrically displace the wiper on its' track? This might be quicker and easier.

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would think that "shortened" wiper would now have a totally different resistance and alter the "map" of EGR operation. This is unless the system can "learn" what the real position is during warm up "readiness check". Nice job on the pictures.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

ASFAIK the wiper position is not an absolute value in the ECM, so moving the wiper on the track should be fine within reason. The EGR pot is not a high precison device and manufacturing tolerances would make an absolute position system quite flaky IMO.

You can't add a resistor to the end of the track for the same reason as the ECM learns and the position is relative to valve opening and feedback it gets from others sensors.

So even of you added a 1k resistor to the end of the pot, I expect it would still work on the worn part of the track. Moving the wiper to a virgin portion of track seems the best way.

I had not thought of cutting the rod which is a good idea if a little permanent!!
So long as the pot still retains enough travel, return spring pressue and wiper contact pressure it should work OK.

We may have now sorted the old EGR issue. Well done it will save us all $200 every few years!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

The more I looked into it the more brilliant this repair becomes. Indeed during the "readiness check" (felt as a stumble after 1-2 min driving from a cold start) the EGR valve is commanded open and the ECU takes note of the amount of lift that results in a "stumble" and as a result the EGR feedback is calibrated during that check.

Brilliant job insight1
Old 09-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Insight1,

Thanks for all the work you did, in dissecting the EGR valve and related 'variable resistor'.

First of all, the geometry of the pot was not what I expected. The 'linear' parallel tracks were a surprise, but make sense as to the function of the pot.

Now to my question:

The presumption is that keeping WD40 or other 'lubricants' out of the pot is a good thing, right? But I can't help wondering if the presence of some type of lubricant may help elongate the life of the carbon tracking material that is deposited in a very thin layer on the printed circuit board.

As you made very clear in your pictures, the wipers only move over a small portion of the carbon track. Would having some type of liquid to act as a lubricator actually help the track to last longer? Since the wiper movement is so slow, maybe a specialty grease would help? Anything that still allows electrical contact with the carbon track, but reduces sliding friction would be a benefit.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is some "bovine scatology" on the subject.

www.hindawi.com/journals/apec/1985/064056.pdf

Several other articles on cleaning pots recommend (of all things) WD-40. From what I read the important parameter is that the lubricant is "polar".
Old 09-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Since the wiper movement is so slow, maybe a specialty grease would help? Anything that still allows electrical contact with the carbon track, but reduces sliding friction would be a benefit.

Jim.
Dielectric grease comes to mind but I think any sort of grease would just move out of the way unless the entire cavity was filled to make sure that it was still in the area. I don't think it's the sliding friction as much as how much pressure those little fingers dig in.

To make them less 'sharp' or doing something to them so they don't push as much pressure might extend the life before those deep grooves develop but then it might not have enough pressure to provide good contact which would be another problem possibly created by the solution. It would be a trial and error solution no matter what we try.
MN Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

It looks like one could skip total "dissy" and op instead for drilling-cleaning and shortening the "push rod" 5mm.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hitech,

Based on your linked article, it does appear that several lubricants do help to preserve the carbon tracks of the studied variable resistor:

Aliten N
Wikson 30

Both lubricants did show an improvement over the dry surface.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question