Wet Seatbelt - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rschaffrath
Default Wet Seatbelt

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the "wet seatbelt" problem and has a definitive cure. Yesterday, my car sat out in the rain all day and when I got into the car and put on the seatbelt I discovered it was soaking wet. The further I pulled it out, the wetter it got to the point where I could actually ring it out. There have been a few posting on the Yahoo! groups about this problem but no definitive solution as whether it is a tensioner bolt problem or broken ckips. The car is going into the dealer tomorrow to have them take a look at it and I was hoping to be able to point them in the right direction as they only deal with one other Insight besides mine.
Silver, '00-#4581

"I support the right to keep and arm bears"
rschaffrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just noticed the wet seatbelt problem today. We hadn't had much rain, and it wasn't that wet, but it'd never happened before even with more rain. Don't have time to deal with getting it looked at right now.
2000 silver 5spd #4232
100000 mi, 62 mpg
Tim Maddux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rschaffrath

The dealer could not find a problem and it did get wet again. Due to other work I have been doing in the car (rear speakers, replacement CD player cable), I have decided to leave the driver side pillar cover off and the seat belt mechanism exposed so that I can see where the water is coming in next time there is a heavy rain (and here on Long Island that is becoming every other day!). Then I can go back with definitive information.
Silver, '00-#4581

"I support the right to keep and arm bears"
rschaffrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

Cuirous, the three of you that have had the problem all have 2000 Insight's it seems. It doesn't exactly rain a whole lot in Arizona, but when it does rain it is usually pretty hard for a short period of time. I'm yet to have any leaks anywhere.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default simulated rain

several weeks ago I had sprayed the Insight with a hose and was inside cleaning front window, when I noticed a light pour of liquod coming from the bottom of the door speaker grill on the passenger side. I have noticed wetness on the inside of the door seal on top of the rocker panel after a wet drive. so far my seatbelts have remained dry.

03 slvr MT
brft drvr
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: simulated rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyAB
several weeks ago I had sprayed the Insight with a hose and was inside cleaning front window, when I noticed a light pour of liquod coming from the bottom of the door speaker grill on the passenger side.
Have you replaced the front speakers? And if so did you have to cut anything in the door to get the new ones in? The previous owner of mine sliced out the nice little lip that is in the metal of the door to put new speakers in and both of them leak. I also wonder if the design of the old speakers didn't allow water thru to the inside? (I have never seen them so I don't know)

As far as the wet seatbelt I haven't experienced it myself after washing the car or in the little bit of rain I have driven in.
Recycled 2002 5 Speed Silverstone Metallic #418 "TO2RO"
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2003, 03:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default wet around the speaker

oops....i must have voided the warranty by having those new speakers put in I didn't do the work so do not know what was done inside the door

03 MT slvr
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default no wet interior

After having read about some of the problems that other Insight owners are having with rain/wash leaks, I just wanted to say that the 2002 Insight that I purchased last September has not yet shown any sign of such a leak (fortunately). I don't know if there was a design change prior to 2002 to address the problem. The only thing that I've noticed on mine that may have some connection to the problem is that when I wash the car there is more water on the door sill when I open the doors than I would expect, but I haven't noticed any wet interior areas. I think I would have designed the weather seal to be mounted closer to the outer door sill edge and outer door skin. Maybe that's a cure, maybe not.

(Edited 8/6/03 - I would like to retract my last two sentences. There is a weather strip on the bottom of the door at its outer edge. - I can only speculate on what the problem might be, but I suspect it's a door alignment/weather strip problem. I would also be suspicious if the OEM speakers have been replaced such that some of the factory weather seal material inside the door has been cut or removed. I don't know what this looks like as I have not opened the speaker cavity.)
2002 Silverstone CVT/AC #1818
dflach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2003, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

We've had rain since my last post, which was the first time I'd ever noticed the wet seatbelt. The seatbelt didn't get wet this time. I'll note here if it happens again.
2000 silver 5spd #4232
100000 mi, 62 mpg
Tim Maddux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2003, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Try inspecting the door moldings, also are your seatbelts retracting normally?

The higher gas prices get the more people take notice.
joe4ska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.