How to ADD AUX to RADIO with CD Changer for FREE - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to ADD AUX to RADIO with CD Changer for FREE

If you have a CD changer with your stock radio then you can very easily add an aux sound input to your radio. The sound quality is much better than those tape adapters or Fm transmitters and doesn't look ugly with that wire sticking out.

WARNING: Do this mod at your own risk, if you connect wrong wires or whatnot, I am not responsible if you mess up something. But since this is such a simple hack, it would be hard to mess up really.

If you dont have a CD Changer installed, there is still another option, but its much more complicated.

How this works is that when you play a cd from the cd changer, it plays the cd and sends an analog audio signal via 3 wires (Lch/Rch/Gnd) to the headunit. So basically with this hack, you send in your own audio signals from your Ipod or mp3 player, by connecting your mp3 player's output to the audio signal wires directly behind your radio. Since you don't want both the CD music and your ipod music playing, you play a CD with silence on it, so that the cd changer does not send any audio signals, and the radio only picks up your ipod's audio.

You will need:
- A stereo speaker cable with 3.5mm jacks (take one from some old PC speakers)
- 3 Bits of scrap wire
- Blank CD, and also a cd burner.

First removal of the radio
- Remove your glove box by removing 2 screws under it.

- Remove 2 screws from the right side of the radio trim

- Pull out the radio trim bezel; carefully go around the edges popping out the clips.
- Remove the four screws around the radio that hold it to the dash.

- Radio should now easily pull out.

Last edited by 02insight; 08-22-2009 at 01:07 AM.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default continue...

- Disconnect both blue connectors, by pressing in the center of the connector and pulling, also remove antenna cable and put away radio for now.

Inserting your aux wires into the CD changer connector
- As you can see the changer connector has sort of clip things on both sides which hold the wires in. use a very small flathead and pop this clip to open up the sides.

- The only wires we are concerned with are the Red, White and Black wires.
RED= Right Channel / White = Left Channel / Black = Ground

- So take a thin wire, strip off very little from the end, about 2-3mm maybe. One at a time insert one wire in front of the signal wires in the connector.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default continue...

- After they are inside the connector, close the latch of the connector, and the wires should be tight. Check continuity with a tester to make sure, you got the contacts right.

- Take the 3 wires now and connect them to the audio speaker cable you have.

- Tape up the wire connections, or solder them together if you want.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default continued...

Finishing up
- Connect all the connectors back to the radio
- Install radio back into place
- Run your aux wire from the back and under the shifter console or where you want to hide it
- Put in stereo back the way you removed it. Remember to reconnect the 12v lighter socket’s connector back.
- Pop the trim bezel back on, screw everything back in.

Go here and download the silence mp3 file. Its a 75 minute long file, extract from the 350kb zip file and burn as a Audio CD.
http://rapidshare.com/files/270398058/silent.zip.html
or
http://download258.mediafire.com/eqp...yn0/silent.zip
The radio reduces the volume by maybe 10% for a second every time the track repeats, or changes the track. So it would be best to have a long silent track.
If you have the Audacity (Free music editor), you can generate your own long silent track, and burn it to a CD.

- Put the CD in the changer, connect your ipod to your aux connector, select the silent CD, and play your ipod music. Adjust the volume of your mp3 player to about 50-75%.

Last edited by 02insight; 08-22-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Continued... Advance AUX into Tuner

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you do not have a CD changer, then you can still get an AUX into the factory radio by splicing into the L/R channels of the radio's internal audio signal. This involves opening the radio, and soldering 3 wires for the L/R/GND to the points on the radio's board. In order to silence the radio's own signal, you would have to solder an extra wire from one of the Tuner's pin to ground to get it to mute.

I tried this and it does work, but I cannot figure out how to automatically get the radio's own signals to Mute when I plugin my Ipod. There would have to be some kind of relay transistor type of thing that would detect the audio signal and automatically connect the mute point to a ground. Another option would be to cut the 2 traces of the audio signals on the board and splice in between a switch or one of those switching audio jacks.

Following are some pictures of the radio's internals and connecting points:
TOP of Radio http://i29.tinypic.com/33fe344.jpg
Location of Signal and Ground Mute Points http://i32.tinypic.com/2mrrxa9.jpg
Signal Wires Soldered (I know, bad soldering ) http://i31.tinypic.com/2e0pysp.jpg

There are also line audio signals in the cassette module. Audio signals could also be connected here, but for some reason the tape hiss was still there when I tried, because a tape had to be playing for these inputs to be selected, and even with a dummy tape there was hiss noise. So i ruled out this option. I suppose you could also disconnect the tape's head so there is no hiss signal, but you would lose the cassette player functionality then.
Here is a picture of the back of the tape module:http://i29.tinypic.com/35atyx2.jpg

Finally for those who want to do some hacking of their own, here are scans of the top & bottom of the radio's main board:

Last edited by 02insight; 08-22-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wow. Nice writeup and nice mod.

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do you mind if I give my own two cents?

If someone is looking for a cheap (not free) way to add aux input easily with cd quality without the hassle or risk of a major mod, a simple cd changer adapter has been made for the factory head unit (here). If you want true iPod control on your OEM stereo, try this. Both of these items would require that a factory CD changer not be installed.

As far as the silent cd idea, wouldn't it be easier to run a source selector like this? (or something similar, like a switch) That would allow you to play any cd you wished but still only hear what was comming from your mp3 player. Just a thought... You put alot of work into this.
DVD / HD radio head unit w/500w Kenwood amp & .5 farad cap
4x Kenwood 6.5" 3-ways & Kicker 8" L7 in custom stealth box (via Expert Fabricator)
7" LCD monitor in passenger sun visor/ 35% tint/ Nitrofill @ 50psi
Fl_Fyr_Fytr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Actually, I liked his solution better.

Not having $100 to waste on this I find his approach very useful. Actually on mine I spent $6 for an FM transmitter from China. That $6 included shipping!!! I dont worry that the sound is not perfect. As someone said about 50 years ago when Hi Fi and Stereo were just becoming the thing, "Putting Hi Fi into a car is akin to putting a pair of $200 speakers inside a garbage can and then climbing in with them and it doesnt make sense, so save your money."

I will echo, "Save your money."
"If you are not living on the edge, well then,
you are just taking up too much space."
JimIsbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

AUX into the radio can be done many ways. The above, is chosen because its the cheapest (FREE) way.

Here is a list of alternate ways w/cd changer:
- audio selection Switcher ($16)
- Remove cd changer signals completely, but would loose ability to play other CD's in the changer (Free)
- Switching audio jack Switches audio automatically when headphone jack plugged in. ($2 from radioshack, but requires 5 minutes more work), (was going to do this way, but mounting the external switching audio jack would require more work.. )
If you dont have CD Changer then:
- Buy Honda AUX Adapter (like $50)
- Solder pins directly to Internal Tuner (more complicated, requires a manual switch to enable mute or a transistor to auto ground mute when audio signal sensed)
- Solder pins directly to Tape audio channels. (has complications)
- Use navi l/r ch inputs, w/navi mute signal (not confirmed yet,but if works, probably needs external switch to enable mute)

So this method may not be the simplest, but surely is the cheapest, because all you need are 3 pieces of wire and a computer speaker cable, and a blank cd. (All scrap parts basically)

Last edited by 02insight; 08-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have modified the original post with a different silent mp3, which is 75 minutes long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.