Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
I bought my used insight at 240,000 miles with 48 LMPG on the readout. I reset it when I bought it and now at 342,000 miles and MY LMPG is 59. If I hadn't reset it probably would have been low to mid 50s?
Yep. You must kicking some serious 'gas' ;)

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
It is doable!
Especially in a "Stock" vehicle.

It all has to do with the "LOOSE NUT" on the steering wheel.

Willie

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What is your definition of stock. Mima is not stock clutch switch is not stock its not doable unless you drive 40 mph and rarely stop. Not doable driving to real places in real situations. I even see in mpg competitions reported here that stock cars get that.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,382 Posts
Well yeah you'd have to hypermile you couldn't do that trying to keep up with traffic.

My absolute best was 78 but my car was far from stock. However, that was with no IMA because the battery was dead. Stock with a working IMA you could do better than 78 if you hypermiled even more aggressively than I was.

But you'd have to use every trick in the book. I'm talking like key-off EoC up to stop signs and into parking spots and rolling into an elevated spot so you can kick-push the car to get it rolling again in neutral, and like parking at the parking spot absolutely the farthest away from the building (closest to the road) so that you don't waste gas in the parking lot, and carrying nothing in the car to save weight, drive w/ lights off, no HVAC at all, etc.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a hard time believing 90mpg with no resets. Sorry i say BS
don't worry, you're not the only one.

best tank i've gotten between the 2 insights was 75mpg and that was a lucky shot with relatively ideal driving situations. if you read back, most people when this car was new 15+ years ago were struggling to learn how to get to 70mpg to a tank. 90mpg to a lifetime, yeah i highly doubt it hasn't been reset or has any mods. that is like handing someone a brand new insight that no one has ever driven and they immediately were getting 90+mpg from the get go... yeah, not buying it. even later on getting 110+ to offset it, we all know how easy it is to lose MPG and how hard it is to get it back.

with my 49.4mpg that was on my 300k mile clock i have zero chance of even getting over 60mpg on it before it dies. not using that as a comparison, just doubting someone could ever manage to get an average of 90+mpg over 250k miles. the silver one had 59.6LMPG, i think i managed to tick it up to 59.8LMPG while averaging about 65+mpg per tank for oh.... 10,000 miles or so. during winter, the car just hates lean burn, enough to where i can't picture anyone getting 90mpg even hypermiling a stock car unless they found a magical neverending downhill road, lol.

some things probably should be assumed in the chart and other things probably just false, but what ya gonna do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do believe it could be done by maybe 2-3 people. Only driving the car when it's warm out, specially when you start out for a ride. Gotta have a real good battery. Pretty flat area or very tiny hills and you couldn't use it for 3 or 4 mile trips. Car has to warm up to get lean burn. For a tank or so it's pretty easy, lifetime pretty darn hard. You'd have to only take it out in perfect conditions.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I do believe it could be done by maybe 2-3 people. Only driving the car when it's warm out, specially when you start out for a ride. Gotta have a real good battery. Pretty flat area or very tiny hills and you couldn't use it for 3 or 4 mile trips. Car has to warm up to get lean burn. For a tank or so it's pretty easy, lifetime pretty darn hard. You'd have to only take it out in perfect conditions.
these 2 owners claim to be original owners since new, never had a lifetime reset, original batteries, no claimed modifications, 250k+ miles, 90+lifetime mpg.

several of those things don't belong in the same sentence.

but meh, it shouldn't surprise me that a few people tend to skew the truth on the list, just those 2 kinda stand out like a sore thumb and give a rather bold false impressions from the car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I doubt 100% that anyone with a stock car can get 90mpg on one tank full (500 continous miles) without cheating that is no tailgating

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I doubt 100% that anyone with a stock car can get 90mpg on one tank full (500 continous miles) without cheating that is no tailgating
And you would be dead wrong. I don't understand why we're still bouncing this around. It has been done and documented here. 100+MPG tanks, 1000+ miles. Commuting. Search. Is hypermiling cheating? You don't have to modify the car. You have to modify the driver.

Read this thread as an example: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/74298-my-commute-mileage-month.html

Sam

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it most certainly is possible with a stock car for a single tank, just not long term. it requires a certain set of ideal circumstances.

it's just not humanly possible for 250k miles though, with a unmodified car. i'm not sure why he doesn't believe it is possible for a single tank. i've done 75, while certainly not 90 that was almost all done on the highway, which isn't ideal for hypermiling. i also didn't use any fancy tricks, i just drove conservatively.

if you did a loop on 45mph back country roads for a long ways you could do it rather easy during summer months. it's when you start trying to get over 55mph is where you start narrowing toward the low end of lean burn.

condition of your car also plays a big role, the blue car i picked up bucks like a bronco in lean burn now in the cold weather so it needs a bit of maintenance, which isn't surprising after the 300k miles it has endured. in reality, it doesn't even want to lean burn AT ALL and maintain speed in winter. on the freeway it will lose momentum until i would be in the mid 40's mph on the freeway, so i can't even drive it in lean burn normally.

the silver car i went through all that stuff and it lean burned much easier even in the cold. the blue unmaintained car i am getting about 53mpg now, the silver car would have been getting about 65mpg with this cold. i also tend not to drive like hypermiler, so that takes a chunk out of the end result.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Maybe but technically he has a modification
"I only have one mod, FAS. It allows you to turn off the car while going down a hill."

But i concede he probably would have got it anyways since he was well over 90

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it's not a competition, least for most of us, so it's not worth taking personally.

both of my cars had poor LMPG and i haven't had a real reason to reset them. however i do have a goal to at least attempt to get an average of 70mpg to each tank, winter or summer. the car gives me enough things to watch for, so i try not to overcomplicate it by adding more things to do while driving.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is with FAS with an average battery I got better with every single run but one when we had big winds. I learned something on every run. No tailgating I can tell you that. If I had started a new tank that day I think I could have done in the 115 range easy, too much of a commitment. Without FAS would make little difference you just key off. I think I could get over 100 minus a battery. This was not a perfect course by any means over 12 lights going back and forth to the gym 3 or 4 days a week. There are guys out there that puts me to shame. Lifetime Mileage. Do I believe it could be done by the best driver out there? I certainly wouldn't even think of betting against him.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Without FAS would make little difference you just key off.
Hi chinup. Great to see you post again. Enjoyed our conversations at 2016 Hybrid Fest.

I can't quite agree on the FAS circuit thing. I think that using the FAS circuit makes a significant difference, but not sure of exact percentage.

The reason it matters is that when you "key off" you are losing the benefit of some of those "free" coasting 100s of feet. Seems to me that one can coast a 100 feet or more while the car goes through its engine off sequence. The odometer doesn't accumulate distance when the key is off. Since fuel economy is distance/fuel, the distance number becomes diminished. I first noticed this at one of Mike Dabrowski New England contests, while using key off, when my accumulated mileage came in short of the actual course distance. How big is the error - I don't really know, but since it is taken out of the "free" distance I think it is significant.

As Lyger says, it is all a game this hypermiling. Like any other game, some of us enjoy it while others think it useless. AND, circumstance of terrain, temperature, etc. vary so widely across this country that comparisons between individuals is really tough. It pays not to get too excited unless it is a regulated competition over a fixed course with some rules of competition.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
I agree with Jim. "Hypermileing" for me is entertainment.
Maybe "One of these Days" we can have a 100+ mile MPG contest?
Instead of the "short" ones.

OK George lets see a picture of your LMPG.
Glad to see you are still around.

Willie

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Pretty sure rows 105 and 111 are the same person.

Same state, same city, nearly the same LMPG, one posted 13k miles after the other with 5 rows between... seems to fit the rate rows are being added to the sheet.

He probably just forgot a year later that he'd already put his info in.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts
About this Discussion
121 Replies
47 Participants
[email protected]
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing