Honda Insight Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Pretty sweet.

Are you planning on making any adjustments to the shift bushings or anything else?
I installed solid bushing in the shifter base, but the shifter cables still have the stock bushings. If I feel like the shifts are vague I will install solid bushings in the shift cables.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I did the same in the base, but the main slop seemed to be in the cable bushings as well. There's a ton in the lever portion when moving side to side on mine as well. Wasn't sure if it was normal or just cuz mine has nearly 250K miles on it, lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I did the same in the base, but the main slop seemed to be in the cable bushings as well. There's a ton in the lever portion when moving side to side on mine as well. Wasn't sure if it was normal or just cuz mine has nearly 250K miles on it, lol.
As of right now I haven't felt much play in the shift cables but that may change in the future. We will just have to see.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So the next step in the build was the fuel system. The stock fuel pump in the Insight may well flow enough but I didn't want to keep a 250K mile fuel pump in the tank. I had an extra AEM 320L/hr pump available to me and decided just upgrade now incase forced induction falls from the sky.

I started by pulling the tank out of the car.

Then I pulled out the fuel pump assembly.

Next step was the measure the resistance of the fuel sender. I wanted to make sure I could match the correct highs and lows with S2000 cluster. This is pretty simple, just move the float to the top and measure the output at the pins, then the bottom and measure again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Next I pulled the assembly apart to get to the fuel pump. Here is the old pump, next to the new pump.

Luckily the pump was easy to install. It fit in the stock cage and all of it just snapped back together.

For the fuel injectors I am using some Fuel Injector Clinic 525cc. All the injectors come with flow documentation to ensure they are within 1% of each other.

The last part of the fuel system is think Pro series fuel rail. I am running AN line and an Aeromotive regulator to finish it all out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Be careful with the plastic on the fuel pump. My car has similar mileage and developed a tiny crack with removal of the hose. Had to buy a new oem one which was pretty pricey even at cost...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Be careful with the plastic on the fuel pump. My car has similar mileage and developed a tiny crack with removal of the hose. Had to buy a new oem one which was pretty pricey even at cost...
I was careful. I have cracked one of those hangers before so I am ginger with the tabs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Now that the engine and the suspension are bolted in place, I could move forward with the brakes. I decided to go with EP3 Civic Si calipers and rotors. This is an easy bolt on upgrade and should help drag the ExSight down from high speeds during track days. I bought some new replacement calipers that were already paint red.

Then I got the most hilarous brake rotors from RockAuto. These are going to be replaced shortly, I promise. They are only temporary to make sure the setup works correctly. Best part is they were both $10 total. Haha

I wanted to use some stainless lines but the Insight has the mounting brackets permanently mounted to the lines. This meant I had to modify the brackets in order to use Civic Si brake lines.

Here is the bracket and the line to start.

Now we just cut the line off....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Weld it all back together...

BAM. All better.

Lets bolt them on the car.

Nice. They fit like stock.

Ok, now the rotors, calipers and Bosch pads can be bolted up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Next I moved on to the sway bar. I used these nice collars from Fortune Auto as the old sway bar mounts were welded to the stock strut. They allowed me to bolt the stock sway bar back in place.

And here is a final shot of the brakes, lines and sway bar. Everything is tied down and clear when the wheels are turned lock to lock.

·
3,641 Posts
Amazing work, pictures, and write up. I admire your talent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I have been doing a terrible job updating this thread but I took my ExSight to an autox last weekend. It was the first time its been run in angry since its been on the road. It did really well, 3rd fastest car of the day not on slicks. Not bad considering I got 49 mpg on the way there and back.

Heres a link to the video.

Project ExSight Autox

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Looks like the car works and you succeeded in building a jack of all trades. Would you be willing to share any notes into the wiring?
For sure I have no secrets. haha.

I used a Wireworx harness and jumper. I will update the thread with that info in a bit. Overall, its not that complicated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Also Mike how did you retain the a/c? I have an insight compressor and not sure if its easier to use the civic compressor.
For the A/C I used the K24 compressor and all the stock Insight components. the ports on the A/C compressors are the same size so that is helpful. I rotated the fittings on the end of the aluminum lines to get them to line up to the new compressor. I was also forced to relocate the dryer as the alternator now took up that real estate. Its not an easy job but once you get it done it works nicely.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Just wondering what ever happened with this build...

101 - 120 of 158 Posts